WARNING: Material has image texture with no UV map assigned: "Kd" ignored

ozRocker

When I use the Blender exporter (latest version in GIThub) I get the message:

WARNING: Material has image texture with no UV map assigned:  "Kd" ignored

in the log file and the resulting model doesn't show the texture when the scene is loaded.  I can clearly see within Blender that my model has a texture with UV mapping.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I found a temporary fix for this problem.  I'm using Blender 2.75.  I was using the latest Blender exporter which is v3.0.1.  I found an older version which is v1.8.1 and that worked.  My animation and textures exported without any problem.

Are you sure you are assigning the texture a UV map?  The fact that the old exporter does it, leads me to suspect that it is not.

Version 3.0 fixed the problem of actually using more than 1 UV Map.  The old version would write out 2 UV maps if you had them for a mesh, but always set the map to use in the export to be the first one.  The new version now checks which UV Map you assigned to the texture.

Look at the textures section of the documentation.  There is a snapshot of image texture properties.  In the Mapping section there is Red text which says: 'unwrap mesh, assign it here'.  Does your properties look like this?

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Extensions/tree/master/TowerOfBabel#textures

FYI, there is a 3.0.2 as a pull request.  Think they forgot about it.

I had a look and the bit located at 'unwrap mesh, assign it here' was empty.  I clicked on it and it showed me the one UV mapping which was available, so I selected that and its now set as the UV map.  So the new exporter now requires an extra step to export the one UV map with the texture?

In a word, yep.  The longer answer is this is the way Blender does it.  The materials options in 3.0 are vastly larger.  Straying too far from how things are actually done by a Blender user may not be a good practice.  Now that there is detailed documentation, much of the mystery of how to do everything that is supported is gone.

well it looks like Blender has picked the only UV mapping as the default one which is why I can see the texture on my model within the Blender editor.  When exporting to DAE it also uses the one UV mapping as the default mapping.  I've never actually needed to manually set it.  So if Blender uses the single existing UV mapping as the default UV mapping and if the old exporter did that, I would assume the new exporter should be able to do that too.