replacing a pixi constructor with my own version; problem with prototypical inheritance?

wayfinder

Hi!

In my (Phaser) project, I'm changing the fragmentSrc and vertexSrc of PIXI.StripShader. I would like to do this from outside the framework—I have a separate file into which I put stuff that I've rewritten, instead of going into the big file and having to carefully diff on every new release. This has never been a problem (I successfully put a bunch of changed pixi functions in there and it always worked), until this one, which is the first time I want to replace a constructor.

When I simply put the updated constructor function PIXI.StripShader into my add-on file, it doesn't work—it looks like that removes all the prototypical functions, and I get an error the first time anything tries to call the StripShader's non-existant init function.

When I give the updated constructor a new name and set PIXI.StripShader.prototype.constructor to that, it looks like that's simply being ignored.

When I duplicate the constructor and all its prototypical functions inside my add-on file, it doesn't work either—I don't get an error message, and the code is not being ignored, however the Strip does not get displayed at all.

The shader code I wrote works, but only if I make the changes to the fragmentSrc/vertexSrc in place, in the framework build, which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

Can you help? How would I best handle this?

Oh my, it was my own stupidity at fault. The shader init function was already one of the functions I had replaced in order for my updated vertex shader and fragment shader to function correctly, so I was overwriting that when I duplicated the constructor and all its (unmodified) prototypical functions at a later point inside my add-on file.

So now I have duplicated the whole PIXI.StripShader including all its prototypical methods in my add-on file and made my changes to the code there, and it all works now. But: I'm still wondering whether there's a more elegant way that would allow me to do it without having to replicate all functions, even the ones I don't use, inside my file.

Do you know?

If you did want to replace the constructor function still you can do something like

var oldStripShader = PIXI.StripShader;//you could even be tidy and put this somewhere rather than polluting the global namespace...PIXI.StripShader = function(){   //your custom stuff goes here};PIXI.StripShader.prototype = Object.create(oldStripShader.prototype);PIXI.StripShader.prototype.constructor = PIXI.StripShader;

If you did want to replace the constructor function still you can do something like

var oldStripShader = PIXI.StripShader;//you could even be tidy and put this somewhere rather than polluting the global namespace...PIXI.StripShader = function(){   //your custom stuff goes here};PIXI.StripShader.prototype = Object.create(oldStripShader.prototype);PIXI.StripShader.prototype.constructor = PIXI.StripShader;

This looks like it's working, thanks! One trip-up to look out for was that in PIXI.Strip (for which I similarly edited the constructor), there was a non-prototypical addition of the draw modes, which still got wiped using this method, so they still needed to be duplicated, even though they weren't changed.