Config questions for vim user with linux server and windows clients

buttonsrtoys

I think I'm ready to jump in to write my first HTML/JS/Phaser game but am uncertain about how best to set up my development environment. I have a linux file server and my client machines are PCs and a Chromebook. My editor of choice is Vim. Ideally, I'd like the code to reside on the server and be editable from the Chromebook (first choice) and PCs.

I understand I need a web server to develop. Is installing Apache on the server the way to go? Or is it better to have a web server on the client machines?

For an IDE, I was thinking of Vim with YouCompleteMe and other plugins, though what could I use for a debugger if any? 

I'm not married to any of the above if people have alternate suggestions. Any direction will be much appreciated.

I'm not sure to fully understand your post... You want to put the code on a Linux server but edit it remotely from a Chromebook client? That seems very unnecessary and a lot of effort.

Where your code will run in the end doesn't really matter. It's probably better to set up the server on the machine you want to code on (your Chromebook, for example). So you have easier access to the code as it is on the same machine. This doesn't prevent your from testing on the PCs, just target the Chrombook URL. 

Once your code is working, put it onto your Linux server. Apache is very fine : I personally use Apache Tomcat as I come from Java, but you can even use simpler servers. Any server able to deliver static web content is enough. On Mac you can use this very simple command line to launch a Python server from any of your directories : python -m SimpleHTTPServer. My bet is that there's an equivalent on Linux.

For the IDE, Vim is very powerful but you might want to opt for editors that have a better integration with Phaser. Someone on the forum added Phaser docs chains to Eclipse, IntelliJ, Sublime etc.