Can't get started in Phaser

Azimo

Hi,

Don't want to sound soppy, but every tutorial, every video, every single sort of web page that tells you how to make a game in Phaser, will always undoubtedly not work for me. I don't understand why. I'm currently using brackets and then set up my project with the index.html and the JS folder with the phaser.js framework. and other such scripts. I can do the the first tutorial suggested on the phaser website, but any tutorial after that doesn't really work for me. I'm not sure where to go. I've coded a game in Java which was fun, but stressful and hard. I've used Unity, unfortunately I don't know C# and I really don't like the engine. Phaser looks perfect, I just need that push that will lead me into making games.

My question is, how did you all learn to make games in Phaser? what tutorial worked best for you? Every tutorial I've tried have either been boring, out of date, or misleading. My current goal is to simply make a html5 game and then convert it to an android app using phonegap or cocoonJS. What program do yo use to code with? etc. 

Thank you and have a good day, 

Azimo.

I also use Brackets,  but I don't use the built in previewer because it doesn't always work properly. I load the index.html page directly into chrome for testing.You will need to set up a web server for this approach. I recommend xampp, as it works well for me.

If the tutorials are giving you problems, then here is another approach: start with the example codes. Start with the section on sprites, since they are foundational to game programming. Move on to Input and Arcade physics examples. AT least this way you can see how the framework functions, and perhaps it will clarify whatever is keeping you from the proper tutorials. 

Also, examples and tutorials can get out of date. Do not hesitate to call for help on this forum and post your code to help us debug. We'd be happy to help if you're really stuck.

Nothing goes easy when you start something. Having issues and bugs is very normal, even with Phaser.