Framerate issues at 144hz

EJanuszewski

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this and I'm only really a beginner JavaScript developer too so sorry for potentially being naive.

I can't share code as I'm not at my PC now but essentially I've got a mesh that I'm moving with the arrow keys, (player.position.x += .1; as an example) however on my 144hz monitor it moves twice as fast due to running more frames, does anyone know what the solution to this would be, or point me in the right direction and I'd love to try solve it myself.

Cheers,

Edward

The monitor actually won't make any difference - the rendering is using requestAnimatonFrame, which limits the FPS to 60 FPS max - independent if your monitor has 50, 100 or 144Hz.

To quote Mozilla's docs: "The number of callbacks is usually 60 times per second, but will generally match the display refresh rate in most web browsers as per W3C recommendation." https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/API/window/requestAnimationFrame

I believe the standard offers no promise that rAF will max out at 60Hz, and instead that browsers are encouraged to sync to the refresh rate of the video mode (it just happens that 60Hz is somewhat common)

I've got a mesh that I'm moving with the arrow keys, (player.position.x += .1; as an example) however on my 144hz monitor it moves twice as fast due to running more frames, 

Short answer: Many games solve this problem by doing "game rules" (processing inputs, doing physics, etc.) in one loop and rendering in another. The idea is that your game rules should probably use a fixed timestep - you don't want physics behaving differently on slow and fast machines - but the render loop can run as fast as the player's machine will go.

Long answer - go read this article right now! Required game developer reading in my humble opinion.  :)

@fenomas : what do you mean with "I call it at 30fps and I always always pass it dt=33ms" ?

Do you simply use some JS setInterval() or do you manage your own ticks with some embedded loops (so you get your own time measures) ?

jerome: It took me a while to figure it all out, but basically I have functions like:

function tick(dt) {   // step game world forward in time by tick_time}function render(tick_dt) {   // for each mesh: position += velocity * tick_dt   // render world}

tick() does things like step the physics engine, handle the AI, apply game rules, etc. The function takes a time step but I always pass it a fixed amount. render() renders the state of the world (including calling BJS render). Note that the render function also takes a dt, and moves meshes along their velocities a little - this lets you run physics less often and still get smooth movement.

As for how I call the functions, I use a handy library called game-shell that manages the timing, along with other features. But I think it would work just as well to do use a setInterval for tick() and an RAF loop for render().

Like I said I use that game-shell library, and it manages the timings for me. To do it manually, I would do something like this:

var tick_time = 40  // desired ms between ticks.. 40 would be for 25 ticks/secondfunction RAF() {   var now = performance.now()   var dt = now - _last   _last = now   if (game_paused) { return }      accumulator += dt   if (accumulator > tick_time) {       accumulator -= tick_time       game.tick(tick_time)       last_tick = now   }   var time_since_tick = now - last_tick   game.render(time_since_tick)   requestAnimationFrame(RAF)}

That's off the top of my head, but something along those lines. Note that I don't pass dt to the tick function, I pass a constant value so that I get fixed timesteps. The accumulator variable is so that you get the right number of ticks over the long run, and the time_since_tick variable being passed to the render function is so that it can update mesh positions (assuming they're driven by key inputs or a physics engine.. for a plain animation I guess this would work differently).

Does that make any sense? 

Nice

and what are the pro/con compared to an equivalent of tick() just called by a simple setInterval() indepedant from the RAF of course ?

I mean :

• render only in the requestAnimationFrame() callback
  • physics, AI, controls, etc in the setInterval() callback

say, with setInterval called every 33 ms for instance