Trouble With Adding A New Function

fedora

I am building a game using this for the structure:  https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser-examples/blob/master/examples/wip/state/test1.php   Each state is a separate .js file.

As a test I have taken an existing game I developed in a single file (which works fine) and broke it up into the states to test the pieces and parts.  My problem is that I can get everything to work fine until I try to add a new function outside of these:

BasicGame.Game.prototype = {    create: function () {        //  Honestly, just about anything could go here. It's YOUR game after all. Eat your heart out!    },    update: function () {        //  Honestly, just about anything could go here. It's YOUR game after all. Eat your heart out!    },    quitGame: function (pointer) {        //  Here you should destroy anything you no longer need.        //  Stop music, delete sprites, purge caches, free resources, all that good stuff.        //  Then let's go back to the main menu.        this.state.start('MainMenu');    }

An example would be -- if I put the below into the update: function:

this.physics.arcade.overlap(player, stars, collectStar, null, this);

And add this new function: 

collectStar: function  (player, star) {    // Removes the star from the screenstar.kill();}

The game does not work.  

If I comment the above out -- it works fine.  I have tried everything and I am convinced I am probably missing something easy.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

In the line where you're calling "arcade.overlap", you need to specify it as "this.collectStar":

this.physics.arcade.overlap(player, stars, this.collectStar, null, this);

Otherwise JS is looking for a variable in first your local function scope and then the global scope, not finding it, and passing undefined.

Don't worry -- it's not easy until you've banged your ahead against it, oh, about a hundred times or so.