Critical performance loss using Babylon 2.2

Hazardus

Folks, I've got a big problem. I decided to throw 2.2 in and see what it would do. Before I even got the chance to poke around, I found a major issue.

My scene:

- 7 spheres with Standard Material (no textures)

- A large dome (with alpha channels)

- A skybox

[ Also in my scene, just for posterity: linear fog. each sphere has 3 actions (mousein, mouseout, click), though actions were not triggered in my tests) ]

My test:

Rotating camera alpha .01 per frame

Average FPS over 1000 frames, recording FPS every 10 frames.

2 versions: With Interaction and Without Interaction (mouse was not moving on canvas)

The results...

1. 2.1, no interaction => 58

2. 2.1, interaction => 54

3. 2.2, no interaction => 59

4. 2.2, interaction => 15

I'm not sure what changed (I haven't read through all the notes yet), but this is fatal. I was simply moving my mouse around in an empty space - that is, one with no Actions.

OH MY GOD!!!

You're going to need to do better than that... if you want to de-throne ME from my "Chief Drama-Queen" position, Haz.  :D

But seriously, I've been where you are, multiple times, and it was always unwarranted panic.  You got a great team here, and it's spearheaded by the hardest working, most user- accommodating geniuses you will EVER meet/hang-with.  I really doubt there will be fatalities, and if it is too major for you, just roll-back one version.  Simple.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Someone much smarter than I (yet unpaid)... will be with you in a moment.

OH MY GOD!!!

You're going to need to do better than that... if you want to de-throne ME from my "Chief Drama-Queen" position, Haz.  :D

But seriously, I've been where you are, multiple times, and it was always unwarranted panic.  You got a great team here, and it's spearheaded by the hardest working, most user- accommodating geniuses you will EVER meet/hang-with.  I really doubt there will be fatalities, and if it is too major for you, just roll-back one version.  Simple.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Someone much smarter than I (yet unpaid)... will be with you in a moment.

Haha, yes I greatly admire this community. I dare not compete, oh great winged one. It did catch me off guard though - 75% performance hit? Ye-ouch.

I'm not sure what's going on. I read through the patch notes and didn't see anything that should conflict. I'll do some more tests and see if I can deduce the culprit.

Update: I systematically eliminated scene assets and found nothing. The only way it does not drag is if there is nothing but a light+camera in the scene. (well, 57fps with interaction). I added a sphere and got around 55. I added a material and that dropped to 54. The more I add, the worse it gets :( Again, it only does this when I move the mouse around the canvas. Using keys or just letting animation play, there is no real hit to performance.

PROFILE!!!

1. Open your content in Chrome

2. Open dev tools (ctrl+shift+J)

3. Switch to Profiles tab

4. Click the "Start" button

5. Do whatever kills performance for 15-20 seconds

6. Press "Stop"

Then make sure the results are set to "Heavy (Bottom up)" and sorted by the "Self" column, descending, and the chart will show you specifically what function is clobbering performance.

Can you please just give a try with 2.3? I think this is related to what I fixed yesterday :)

Indeed it is, good sir! Of course I'm rounding the FPS but this seems to be the most consistent output yet (almost pure 60fps!) - awesome.

Sayyy, did you by chance tweak the diffuseTexture's uScale, vScale, etc? For some reason with 2.3 my scale changed (both are larger than before and uScale is stretching more than vScale even though they're the same number).

One final  A couple of notes just as a heads up:

- the minified version doesn't seem to be exporting BABYLON or adding it to window, had to use .max

- my ArcRotateCamera became a FreeCamera

uScale and vScale change because the previous version was buggy. Can you please provide a PR of what you are seeing ?

Minified version works well as it is used by www.babylonjs.com :). Are you sure you do not have a problem with the file itself?

Same for arcRotateCamera: http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/?2

@Deltakosh I grabbed the .min version from here: https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/tree/master/dist/preview%20release

By no means am I complaining - the 2.3 really made my sphere/dome pop. It looks much cleaner, I just had to adjust the values.

I'm not sure what PR means, playground reproduction? I've built (am building) my own software to interact with Babylon.. sort of an overlay/plug-in API that I'll be making available as open-source. I haven't built a converter just yet, so building a PG example is a bit more complicated than copy/paste. Here's an image of what I'm seeing (2nd image is before adjusting values):

EaND94i.jpg

can you try to reload the .min file? I checked it and it is correct

Ah ok, for some reason GitHub was tossing in some HTML when I saved the babylon.js file. I copy/pasted the raw file, and it is working correctly. Sorry for the confusion.

Nice, now I get to play with all of the nice new features provided in 2.2! :) Thank you. The performance increase in 2.3 over 2.1 is outstanding - no stutters, no lag, just pure 3D goodness!