Help playing sound via SoundJS with Pixi on iOS devices

neonwarge04

Hi, 

It seems there are several issues going on when playing sounds in iOS devices. I need a way to play a background music.  I am using SoundJS as my sound engine. What SoundJS suggest from this docu is to trigger playing sounds through touch/click events. The documentation state the reason for this and I find it very reasonable. Given my situation, I need to play the background music the moment the game starts so I am scratching my head how should I go around this.

Here is my code running the background music while I still preserving the structure:

define(['src/Runner2', 'src/World', 'soundjs', "core/utils/Button", "core/utils/CircularFader", 'core/utils/Dimmer' , "src/GameUI"] , function(Runner2, World, SoundJS, Button, CircularFader, Dimmer, GameUI){  console.log("MainGameScene loaded.");  return function (renderer , screenSize)  {    ...    var bgm = SoundJS.play("bgm1" , {loop: -1});        ...    function initGameMode(runner)    {      ...      if(bgm !== null)        bgm.stop();      bgm = SoundJS.play("bgm1", {loop: -1});            ...    }    function updateGame()    {      ...      if(!mRunner.isDead())      {         ...      }      else      {        // I stop music on game over        if(bgm !== null)        {          bgm.stop();          bgm = null;        }      }    }    ...    return MainGameScene;  }});

The line where I immediately play the sound stops on browsers on iOS devices including iPhones and Ipads. Have you guys figured out how this will work? Or a generic solution that will work all across browser and OSes? I very much prefer to stick to JavaScript solution, but this is just my thought. Thank you very much

Remember, only the first sound need be triggered by a touch event explicitly.  All following sounds can be called from code in the main loop, just as you'd expect / want.

The approach I take is (for iOS devices) to load the game assets with a progress bar, and then hold and wait for a touch event.  At that point display a message to the user to encourage them to touch (e.g. "tap to continue" or "choose X vs Y").  Then on that first touch event play a sound (I play a silent sound, of duration >1s) and move the game onwards.  From there on, sounds can be started on iOS just the same as for Android and desktop.

That same "first-touch-event" strategy can also be used for other similarly restrictive APIs, like fullScreen and lockOrientation (note, last time I checked, neither work on iOS).