Building an HTML RPG influenced by site interaction - Possible / Best Method?

sirpanda

I'm planning on building an HTML RPG that utilizes a site-wide ranking system (like stackoverflow || khanacademy) as a means of gaining experience within the site's game. Specifically, upon answering a question correctly, a notification would appear that the user gained 10 EXP points, and a button directing them to the HTML game.

As this is my first take at developing an HTML game, will appreciate any insight. I expected that I'd need to utilize HTML, CSS, Jquery, PHP and the database extensively, though saw Phaser, and wanted to identify the best way to go about doing the above.

Thanks in Advance!

Love,

-Panda

The ranking system is completely unique to your app i.e. no framework will automatically give it to you, you'll have to code that up yourself.

You'll need a user profile kept remotely, then have clients log-in, keep track of that user (probably via a session, although any method would work) and ping notifications to the server each time you want to update their score. There are multiple ways to achieve that.

What you're suggesting isnt the easiest thing to build as your first project.

Your question is very general so you wont get useful info about tech stack. Use whatever you are comfortable with (or want to learn). You'll need a server solution, a database and yep, you'll need HTML/CSS/JS on the client. Each 3 parts of this stack have a multitude of languages/libraries/frameworks that would do what you need.

Thanks mattstyles, appreciate your analysis. As I'm not entirely sure how to proceed, any chance youd bestow some more of your wisdom?

In regards to the ranking system as you said there isnt a quick solution avaliable any chance youre aware of any forks that may provide a piece of the puzzle. If not would PHP to database integrated with user accounts be the best method to track points/EXP?

The game itself is intended to be a limited rpg with a battle system and moves that correspond to level (like pokemon). Is there any framework that would expedite custom coding in this department?

Thanks, Panda

PHP is a mature language, I'd be surprised if you couldnt find a quick setup that had user accounts. With PHP you'll most likely find an MVC setup, it would just be a matter of adding a custom field to the user model (your exp/score) and exposing a couple of RESTful end points to manipulate a user—whichever framework you like with this plugin/feature will have documentation about extending/customising.

Fro the front-end I think Phaser sounds like a great choice, although depending on the complexity of your animations and interactions a game in regular old DOM is perfectly feasible.

Unless you are already proficient in JS I'd stay clear of jQuery unless you're specifically targetting old browsers.

I agree with mattstyles,

I would just add that node.js might be good for you if you wish to make some complex client-server interactions.

Phaser would be a great API to start with, It is easy to understand and keeps most of the difficult coding for itself.

As for Jquery it should only be used for your game integration.

PHP is a mature language, I'd be surprised if you couldnt find a quick setup that had user accounts. With PHP you'll most likely find an MVC setup, it would just be a matter of adding a custom field to the user model (your exp/score) and exposing a couple of RESTful end points to manipulate a user—whichever framework you like with this plugin/feature will have documentation about extending/customising.

Fro the front-end I think Phaser sounds like a great choice, although depending on the complexity of your animations and interactions a game in regular old DOM is perfectly feasible.

Unless you are already proficient in JS I'd stay clear of jQuery unless you're specifically targetting old browsers.

Thanks mattstyles :)  Once the site & game are complete, I'll be sure to post it here (although it'll more then likely be a long while before then)

All insight is welcomed and appreciated!

I agree with mattstyles,

I would just add that node.js might be good for you if you wish to make some complex client-server interactions.

Phaser would be a great API to start with, It is easy to understand and keeps most of the difficult coding for itself.

As for Jquery it should only be used for your game integration.

I see, thanks T0T0S, will keep node.js in mind, as I begin working with Phaser