Circular Snake

ed-bit

The idea in general is fresh and unique, which is a big plus :)

However, I feel like the controls are difficult to grasp, even after trying them out for a while and reading the examples you've written. Especially in simple and quick games, it should be easy to pick up the game and just play it, to have a learning curve that is as short as possible.

Would it be possibly to experiment with another, simpler way to control the snake?

Yeah I'm aware the controls are pretty hard to pick up, I'm comfortable with them but of course I've had lots of practice while making the game. The trouble with a left or right key is that left and right changes depending on where you are on the circle. But thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can experiment with an alternative control scheme.

Just an idea, but how about something like this:

In many 360-gravity platformers (that have Super Mario Galaxy -esque gravity) you move on a spherical surface counter-clockwise when you hold left and clockwise when you hold right. The player could press either of these keys when the snake is moving to a smaller or larger circle.

Changing to another layer of the circle would happen with up/down keys: up would let you move to a circle with a larger radius, towards the outside of the circle, and down would let you move to a circle with a smaller radius, towards the center of the circle.