How do you "stop" light at plain edges? is it possible?

aWeirdo

Hello!

So, i have been messing around with babylonjs for a couple weeks now, just trying different stuff out, now, i have a rectangular plain, aprox 150x100,

i want the "center" of the plain to be well lit from all directions, while at the edge, the light should rapidly fade out to black,

I have tried several set-ups, 

so far, the best results i've gotten regarding getting the fade-out effect is using 3 spotlights(1 in each end and 1 in the middel of the plain), but since they only cast light from above, all the objects sides are completely black.

Does anyone have a solution for this? is it even possible?

var light0 = new BABYLON.SpotLight("Spot0", new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 100, 0), new BABYLON.Vector3(0, -1, 0), 0.8, 2, scene);	light0.diffuse = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 1, 1);	light0.specular = new BABYLON.Color3(0, 0, 0);

post-17943-0-99563900-1452086759_thumb.p

You want far away parts of the world to be dark, have you considered using fog for this instead of lighting? (if not, maybe you should...)

Then use some ambient lighting term and maybe a secondary light to act as a highlight (because ambient terms are rather flat)

Hey and welcome,

If the bright area is centered on the camera, then as chg said: fog + ambient lighting is definitely the way to go.

If not, then I think your best bet is writing a custom ShaderMaterial, to which you'll pass the center coordinates of the bright area and then to a nice color fadeoff according to this. Try looking at the docs if you don't know where to start :)

Good luck

Hi aW :)

Is this what you are trying to do?

Playground

Two lights, one a point  light and one a hemispheric light. Important lines are 35 and 36 - what objects get illuminated by what light.

You can play with pointlight's intensity and range to get the fall off effect you want

cheers, gryff :)

Hi aW :)

Is this what you are trying to do?

Playground

Two lights, one a point  light and one a hemispheric light. Important lines are 35 and 36 - what objects get illuminated by what light.

You can play with pointlight's intensity and range to get the fall off effect you want

cheers, gryff :)

Yes, That is exactly what i was looking for.

Thank you :-)