Rotation perpendicular to selected face

c75

perpendicular is not enough for information ...

If you want the mesh2 to be perpendicular to some mesh1 face, you may tell us also how you want this mesh2 oriented ? looking at the screen ? looking at the sky ? etc

Actually you may precise 2 other more axis (the picked normal is the first one).

In your case, I would set 3 orthogonal axis (normal, Y, cross(normal, Y) if it's what you need) then I would use rotationFromAxis() to get the rotation to give to the mesh2.

Please do a PG

I don't get what you are try to achieve ...

Imagine you just display Suzanne in its local (X,Y,Z) axis, ok ?

Now, just figure out how you want these (X, Y, Z) according to each mesh facet. "Perpendicular" is not enough information to set (X, Y, Z)

You could, for instance want :

Z => facet normal

Y => World Y ? or World Y projection on the facet normal ? or whatever ? only you know

X => cross(Y, Z)

Or anything else ... that's just an example

16 hours ago, jerome said:

not sure,

in his last example, C75 computed a cross vector with from a mysterious axis (1, 1, 1) at the line 112 ...

Yes, that was random vector (bruted finding needful rotation), I tried to use lying mesh, and rotation formula became easier. Check it http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2C8LVE#6

and my final "clean" formula with standing  Suzanne  is here http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2C8LVE#7

But i'm still can't find solution to merge rotation of mesh and normal (@RaananW said about that). What methods I should use?