Bouncing a sprite

staff0rd

I'm trying to bounce a sprite so that its y coordinate follows a path like this;

bounce.JPG.955066328dfeb9b9e7d3b49a8bd89

The animation should accelerate as it is closer to the origin, and decelerate at the apex.  This function is in fact;

abs(sin(x) * 2)

I'm trying to do this in phaser using Easing.Quadratic.In with yoyo=true, however the animation slows at both the origin and the apex.

Any ideas on how I can achieve this?

I guess I could set the position inside an update using the function above instead of tweening, is there any performance difference between doing that or using Phaser.Tween?

Hi, what you need is not abs(sin(x)) but parabolic.

Phaser tween easing functions take value from zero to 1 and return result, which is usually 0 in the beginning and 1 in the end. In your case you want to return 0 in the beginning and end too. So, best way for you is to write custom easing function, that will produce parabolic curve as on image below. This function (y) is 0 in time 0 (x) and 0 again in end of tween time (which is 1). In time 0,5 it is 1.

Parabolic curve has equation: y = ax^2 + bx + c. You know three points [x, y], so you get three equations:

• 0 = a0^2 + b0 + c = c
  • 0 = a1^2 + b + c = a + b + c
  • 1 = a0.5^2 + 0.5b + c

from first c = 0 and from other two you can calculate a and b: a = -4; b = 4

Your eqaution for easing function is: y = -4x^2 + 4x + 0

Parabolic.png.165029a1485c64f8fe09508d9b

Now, some code: you will need two tweens - first one for y parabolic movement (like jumping on place) and second for linear movement along x:

this.game.add.tween(mySprite).to({ y: -200 }, 1000, function (k) {
                return -4 * k * k + 4 * k + 0;
            }, true, 0, 2);

this.game.add.tween(mySprite).to({ x: 250 }, 3000, Phaser.Easing.Linear.None, true, 0);

First tween takes 1 second (1000 millis) and is repeated 3 times (2 as last param).

Second tween takes 3 seconds and 1 repeat.

It all results into three tweened jumps and then it stops. Note, I have 0,0 in center of screen. If you have 0,0 in top left corner (default) then you will have to change y in first tween to see something on screen...

Btw: I wrote article on custom easing functions on my blog: http://sbcgamesdev.blogspot.cz/2015/04/phaser-tutorial-custom-easing-functions.html There is much more complex bouncing function (with elasticity, gravity, ...).

23 minutes ago, Tom Atom said:

what you need is not abs(sin(x)) but parabolic.

Turns out that the following is true for 0 <= x <= 1;

Math.abs(Math.sin(10 * k / Math.PI)) === -4 * k * k + 4 * k

So I can use sin(), however the gotcha occurred when you pointed out that the tween should return a value between 0 and 1.  This allowed me to determine that

1. Using yoyo=true was incorrect and;
  2. I needed to reduce my equation to output values 0 => y >= 1

Thanks for your help Tom, I'm having a read through your blog now ;)

23 minutes ago, staff0rd said:

Turns out that the following is true for 0 <= x <= 1;

Math.abs(Math.sin(10 * k / Math.PI)) === -4 * k * k + 4 * k

So I can use sin(), however the gotcha...

What? Sine is not parabolic, you can approximate a sine curve within some range with a polynomial but it is never exact

30 minutes ago, chg said:

What? Sine is not parabolic, you can approximate a sine curve within some range with a polynomial but it is never exact

You are right; blue is the parabola, red sine;

rsz_sin.jpg.07eab6f3d2570ab639b726da31c7

My bad, my highschool maths was so long ago.  Hard to notice the difference in a tween however.  I wonder if the performance suffers?