StoneBreak - a breakout clone

TheBenji

Hey there,

I made a little Breakout clone (actually I did it a few month ago but now I improved quite a lot and wanted to show it to you guys).

I used the http://www.isogenicengine.com/ engine and the clay.io-API

post-3945-0-84197100-1385585096.png

You can play it here: stonebreak.clay.io

If you have a touch device just touch at the left/right border to move the pad, if not use the arrow-keys (or click with the mouse).

Try it and I hope you can give me some feedback :)

Okay, first sorry if sound like jerk but,

I spend a lot of time doing a breakout clone... so I can give you a personal feedback of what really bugs me and make me not want to play your game.

1. Controls were buggy with mouse... i tried on chrome  -  the paddle steers left or right and when i click it moves than it goes back to one side ... which make it quite impossible to control

2. At some point it stopped and I started to play with left and right ... 

3. I see that you made the direction of the ball depended not where the ball hit the paddle but the velocity after the impact.... so if the ball hit the paddle and just in that moment I push right it gives the ball a "spin". This makes the game hardly difficult to play since, many times to direct the ball where i want it to go i have to wait for the last second and miss it... also i like the idea but it's just not implemented good enough.

4. The ball rotation animation looks a bit "misplaced" and while moving like the ball shakes from trajectory

5. It's linked to point 3 but there are to cases that really bugged me:

a. Sometimes the ball goes in vertical motion which can go forever and even if I move the paddle it still reflects directly up.. and if i try the velocity shift... there is very big chance to lose the ball

b. Opposite to above if I hit the ball in the last moment holding right for example it will give the ball very large angle and the ball stars hitting left, right, left right, left, right... and so on which makes a slow and not pleasant game-play... and after that it's hard to get the ball in more dynamic vertical motion

Also after 7 or 8 tries... a went to second level once...so it's a quite a steep learning curve... and I consider myself above average gamer. :P

Also congrats for finishing a game. Also I like the graphic style and sounds although every paddle hit and every top hit sounds comes a bit more to me... but hey there is mute.

Once again all I wrote is with good intention, and I hope you accept it as positive critics.

Hey, thank you for your feedback.

That is very helpful!

I have to check the mouse control..that shouldn't be like this but to be honest that is actually more for touch devices (probably the same problem, though).

For your point 3.): That's right, I actually used a box2d implementation but it annoyed me too every now and then. I might try to boost the spin depending where the ball hit the paddle.

That could also helps for your fifth point since that is more about the bad control over the ball.

The point that I don't really get is the difficulty - I actually thought that is too easy (->boring).

Will see if that is actually for everybody too hard (might be better with the improved controls anyway).

Cheers!