SolidParticleSystem billboard seems not right~

MasterK

I'll check this in some time, this looks like a bug.

Actually, if you need only planar particles and billboard, you should consider using the standard particle system or the sprite manager that are both more performant than the SPS in this very case (bilboard + planar particles)

9 minutes ago, jerome said:

I'll check this in some time, this looks like a bug.

Actually, if you need only planar particles and billboard, you should consider using the standard particle system or the sprite manager that are both more performant than the SPS in this very case (bilboard + planar particles)

Yeah, i know that..

I would love to wait for you~

And can you guys make the stretched billboard,  horizontal billboard (it's easy one) and vertical bill board too?? like unity3D... 

I did these hardly and there's still something wrong, especially Stretched billboard, too difficult to calculate the rotation.

I guess that I understand : your camera is not looking at the mesh position but towards a fixed direction.

The SPS billboard mode only works on the camera-mesh axis. Billboarding means rotating each particle so it faces the camera position, not the camera direction, what can be impossible in some cases.

So for now, it's not a bug but the expected behavior.

I need to think if I can take in account the camera direction to compute differently the rotation needed by the billboarding. This will take a little time.

BTW, I just modified the current billboard algo so it doesn't use any longer the normals final recomputation. So a big re-iteration less ... this means the billboard is now supposed to be as fast as the standard mode.

2 hours ago, jerome said:

I just modified the current billboard algo so it doesn't use any longer the normals final recomputation. So a big re-iteration less ... this means the billboard is now supposed to be as fast as the standard mode.

@jerome : You referring to billboarding with the SPS system or billboarding across all BJS ?

cheers, gryff

Just billboarding inside the SPS what is a per particle rotation dedicated computation, for my answer.

The BJS billboard rotates a whole mesh. So you can billboard the SPS mesh but all the particles will kept in the same orientation relatively to each other.

BTW, I think I found a way to billboard the particles according to the direction looked at the camera and not only its position. But I need to get confirmation from the BJS grand masters that all the cameras used to render a scene are actually TargetCameras... so they have a target and then a direction looked towards.

ok, I just checked all classes of cameras, they seem to be TargetCameras

making my PR

[EDIT] ok, added a better computation for billboard. Now the direction looked to by the camera is taken in account and not only the cam-mesh axis. This will give a better expected result with FreeCamera if it doesn't look at the SPS but some particles are still in its frustum.  

5 hours ago, jerome said:

ok, I just checked all classes of cameras, they seem to be TargetCameras

making my PR

[EDIT] ok, added a better computation for billboard. Now the direction looked to by the camera is taken in account and not only the cam-mesh axis. This will give a better expected result with FreeCamera if it doesn't look at the SPS but some particles are still in its frustum.  

awesome~~~~ toooooo nice~~ i'll check it now~~~~~ thank you~~~