[WIP] World JS: History Simulation

anvoz

post-5603-0-17207600-1386087400.png

This is my first game, or actually my first serious Javascript project. And this game is about history. So everything is new for me but I've tried my best to finish its first part. Please take your time to try it.

Direct game link: http://anvoz.github.io/world-js/

The main idea is create a world in Javascript so I named it "World JS". While I was searching for game materials, I found an interesting online course - A brief history of humankind - by Dr. Yuval Noah Harari and decided to build the game story around it. After the first release, I received a lot of nice feedbacks, especially from Dr. Yuval and perhaps he or his agent can help me on the second part of the game. So, I believe the game story is going very well but I still need a writer to polish it up.

This is an open source project, no game framework is used. The coding part of the game is about handling few thousands of moving objects that can product offsprings. I really want the source code can be reviewed as much as possible. All contributions are welcome.

Are you get boring quickly while watching it? This could be a major issue of the game because the next update - the second part - will add about 15 minutes more on the gameplay.

I can pick 3 words for this project: "game", "history" and "Javascript". Even though I'm quite confident about the game story, no one who loves history really care about playing some games, they just love reading. I posted the game in some forums about history and nobody bats an eye. So the "history" part is only a supporting part for the "game" part. It is just for casual gamers who rarely find interested in a history-based game. Should I give up on the "history" and "game" part; and only focus on the "Javascript" part to learn deeper about the language?

I have no experience about many parts of this game so any feedback is really helpful for me.

Thanks,

An Vo.

Hi, I tried your game and the main complain is... it doesn't feel like a game :)

At least I tough it's going to be a bit like civilization (a lot simple of course).

In the moment after the intro info when I start there are several Trending topics which I set to High Priority, then with years changing 

new came and I set them again to high priority and so on...

I don't felt like I have some impact on the gameplay just like the game play on it's own and I just watch it. :)

That's my experience.

Although I like the overall setup and interface but the Trending area with the scrollbar is little for so much info so you could try make it bigger or put it under the main window... or make more of the text as hint overlay on mouse over and leave only title and dropdown.

Hi, I tried your game and the main complain is... it doesn't feel like a game :)

At least I tough it's going to be a bit like civilization (a lot simple of course).

In the moment after the intro info when I start there are several Trending topics which I set to High Priority, then with years changing 

new came and I set them again to high priority and so on...

I don't felt like I have some impact on the gameplay just like the game play on it's own and I just watch it. :)

That's my experience.

Although I like the overall setup and interface but the Trending area with the scrollbar is little for so much info so you could try make it bigger or put it under the main window... or make more of the text as hint overlay on mouse over and leave only title and dropdown.

Thanks for your feedback, Mike. :)

This game is intended to create for history lovers. Most of them just want to read instead of playing some games so I make a game that even if they don't touch it, it can still process and they can just watch its story. I think it is actually a failed attempt so far. I am not sure how can I make the game more interactive yet.

I even want to put more thing to the Trending area so maybe most of the text from the description should be move to hint overlay as you suggested.

Mike is right, but still I think it's a pretty good idea.. :)

Thank you. :)