[WIP] Azathoth Wakes: An Opera Out of Space

AnimaChambers

PKGRrFV.png

I've almost finished making a polished alpha demo of my HTML5 adventure-strategy game, Azathoth Wakes. This uses GSAP and CSS DOM animation and features professional voice acting and a custom soundtrack inspired by War of the Worlds.

It's also a parody of Funcom's The Secret World and BioWare's Mass Effect, and is meant to be a demonstration of how fair use can be used in games. I'm a former lawyer, so I understand fair use intricately and wanted to show how you could do it in a game. Ie. it's a parody in the film style, where you have high production values and your own art and sound, but parody game concepts.

Currently polishing and the demo will be out soon. Major gameplay influences were the war table in Dragon Age Inquisition and Dune 1 on the Amiga. Download only (nw.js) due to the size constraints imposed by having voice acting on every screen.

The War Room:

mh9M2x6.jpg

The Armoury:

IMjazlP.jpg

CSS Animation example:

0ZpNpHF.gif

Sound design video, but old graphics and animation (not really a straight gameplay video - this was made to show on my original dev blog the sound design progress):

Hey yeah you're right about that. The original purpose of the video was to show on my main dev blog the sound design, so you're right it isn't a great gameplay video. :)

What's meant to keep people engaged is the combination of the agency of a text game like 80 Days, with the sound design of a cast of professional voice acted characters constantly chattering at you. 

But to show that in a proper trailer video would take some careful editing work. I've been crunching to finish the demo, so a revised video hasn't been a top priority. :)

Demo should be out in a couple of weeks.