Is it possible to do this with Babylon?

aaronmck

Hi guys,

I've just started playing around with Babylon and trying to understand what all it can do. For a project I am working on I have been tasked to create an interactive 3D PC builder. Basically I have to create a 3D model of a PC which I can drag and drop components into to create the complete PC. So I would start off with a case, then I could drag and drop a motherboard onto it then PSU etc...

What I would like to know is if it's possible to do this using the Babylon framework?

I have been creating models using 3ds Max but I'm not sure if I can export these models with all PNG materials applied into Babylon and have them display in Chrome. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Aaron

This seems to be a topic :) "Can I Do this?".

Yes, you can export models from 3DS, with certain limitations to materials etc'. If you use the standard shader's properties you should be fine. you can read about it here - http://doc.babylonjs.com/exporters/3DSMax

Yes, you can implement drag and drop, but this is not in the scope of Babylon. You will have to handle the native js events. Having said that, go to the playground and check the drag and drop example there. Should be a proper start.

So, tl;dr - yes you can!