Metal Effect Material

primesoftware

Hello all,

I was just curious how you guys about making a metal effect material in BJS. I see both the V8 and heart demo seems to have such an effect. I've looked at the Heart.babylon file, but its a biiiiiiiiig mess and I'm not sure what I'm looking for / at in there. I'd prefer not go PBR since I'd like to (if possible) run on mobile. I really just want a shiny bright metal look. Any ideas?

A 'plastic' look is only possible with a reflection map with sharp lines.

The specularPower of a material can be set to a high value (e.g. 500) to get the specular a small and shiny dot. A combination of a sharp reflection map with a nice specular can give some great surfaces like metallic car optics.

Tomorrow I could upload two selfmade Skymaps, one in blurry, one in sharp. Or can you build up your own skymap textures?

1 minute ago, jellix said:

A 'plastic' look is only possible with a reflection map with sharp lines.

The specularPower of a material can be set to a high value (e.g. 500) to get the specular a small and shiny dot. A combination of a sharp reflection map with a nice specular can give some great surfaces like metallic car optics.

Tomorrow I could upload two selfmade Skymaps, one in blurry, one in sharp. Or can you build up your own skymap textures?

The environment is actually a room with a white ceiling, blue wall, and a wood textured floor. I've only browsed skymap texturing though I would like to read more about it.