Calculate tween rotation time based on angular velocity

ForgeableSum

So, I'm trying to calculate the amount of time to tween an angle based on its angular velocity. I know, that sentence is weird, let me explain. 

You have a gameObject with a physics body and an angular velocity of X. Over a network, you're trying communicate how much that ship is turning at what speed to another client, but the other client isn't using physics bodies (just tweening the rotation). i.e. I need to translate an angular velocity turn to a tween turn. The formula I have is:

Time = distance / angularVelocity; 

I get the distance by finding the difference of the current angle and new angle:

var angleDistance = Math.abs(gameObject.rotation - newAngle);

So turnTime should be: 

var turnTime = Math.abs((angleDistance / Math.abs(angularVelocity)) * 1000);

What am I doing wrong here? angularVelocity is based on radians per second, correct? If my formula is correct, there must be something else causing the turn to not look right - perhaps the server tick rate. Someone please check my math :).

Hi feudalwars,

body.angularVelocity, body.maxAngular, and body.rotation are actually in degrees, not radians (the docs are wrong there). sprite.rotation is in radians.

I'd thought there was a Phaser function giving the smallest difference of two angles but I can't find it now. When angles wrap the absolute difference may not be the smallest one: e.g., from 359° to 1° should be +2° (clockwise), not -358° (anticlockwise). 

That looks about right. I would use body.rotation just to be consistent. And you can take the absolute value just once.

body = gameObject.body;

var angleDistance = body.rotation - newAngle;
var turnTime      = Math.abs((angleDistance / body.angularVelocity) * 1000);

But I think the sign of angleDistance must matter somehow since it implies the direction of the turn.

Maybe try to make a quick example w/ http://phaser.io/examples/v2/arcade-physics/angular-velocity .