how to create cool fonts?

pranadevil

Font squirrel have a nice tool that exports fonts in a number of different formats (as do many other sites although most decent free fonts will have freely available downloads in multiple formats), if you want to support every old browser then you'll need to serve them all up. To get them into an android app you'd need to package them up with the app and tell the app to use them somehow (not sure on native android stuff but it should be easy enough to google), you may need multiple formats for all android devices. You could probably even grab them over the wire, but it seems a little daft for a native app.

Generally speaking, ttf works just about everywhere, I'd imagine that includes in native use as its the de facto standard. http://caniuse.com/#feat=ttf 

Fonts are no different from any other product, you get what you pay for, although there are a lot of well-created free fonts.

5 minutes ago, mattstyles said:

Font squirrel have a nice tool that exports fonts in a number of different formats (as do many other sites although most decent free fonts will have freely available downloads in multiple formats), if you want to support every old browser then you'll need to serve them all up. To get them into an android app you'd need to package them up with the app and tell the app to use them somehow (not sure on native android stuff but it should be easy enough to google), you may need multiple formats for all android devices. You could probably even grab them over the wire, but it seems a little daft for a native app.

Generally speaking, ttf works just about everywhere, I'd imagine that includes in native use as its the de facto standard. http://caniuse.com/#feat=ttf 

Fonts are no different from any other product, you get what you pay for, although there are a lot of well-created free fonts.

what i need to upload to the fontsquirrel generator? a font downloaded from another site? which format?

49 minutes ago, pranadevil said:

what i need to upload to the fontsquirrel generator? a font downloaded from another site? which format?

Yep, a ttf I think, although the converter might work with other formats too.

Pretty sure those sort of tools normally export some documentation with code snippets for different ways to load a font too, obviously you'll have to adapt that for the native solution you're after as they target web delivery.