HingeJoint - Locking

ian

If we have vertical bar and horizontal bar on top of vertical bar. and if we set joint like

horizontalBar should rotate around Y (in blender around Z). 
If I push horizontalBar, two edges of horizontalBar is rotatin around Y but edges of horizontalBar are also swinging up and down (Z). 

When horizontal bar is rotationg edges are changing Y a little bit. Edges doesn't always have Y=3 like mainAxis have it.

Can I lock hinge so that edges of horizontalBar will not swinging up and down and it will always rotate with same Y=3.

Or I push too hard horizontalBar? Or is there any other/strange problem? Should edges of horizontal bar always rotate with same Y values (in this case Y=always 3)?

var joint = new BABYLON.HingeJoint({
  mainPivot:  new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, 0),
  connectedPivot: new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 3, 0),
  mainAxis: new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 1, 0),
  connectedAxis: new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 1, 0)
});
verticalBar.physicsImpostor.addJoint(horizontalBar.physicsImpostor, joint);

Hi Ian.  I don't think there is a way to stop that.  Remember the train wheel demo?  Remember me saying I have tried to remove wheel "wobble" and failed?  *nod*.  Same problem... too much mass... landing on leverage point of fulcrum.  Joints have some "slop"... and I have searched for ways to "tighten the bearings".  I did not find a solve.

With box mass much lower...

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1UF7BM#8

Better.  Still some "bounce"... caused by hinge slop.  Sorry I have no happy answer.  Perhaps others will have ideas.

Box falling through floor, too.  Darn.  *scratch scratch*

Well, there are ways to lock the bar... but... you were looking for native Cannon API calls to do it.

There is also foolery.  Use a timer... and fake gravity on the box. 

Start with no physics on bar and box.

Add a call in scene.registerBeforeRender to moveBoxDownSmallAmount()...  check for intersect of box and bar.  When intersecting, scene.unregisterBeforeRender moveBox...().

THEN... turn-ON physics state for bar and box.

The box will not be doing a physics fall.  It will be doing a "physics fall simulation:)  Just another idea, probably not good.

-------------------

Another idea:   Using renderLoop... constantly monitor bar.body.angularVelocity... see if bar tilt is happening.  If found, null/zero it.  Perhaps only for short time... then remove that angularVelocity-checker from renderLoop. 

Keep experimenting.  :)