Alpha ignored?

ProfessorF

Here you go mate:

this is what I use in my project.

var Materials=[];Materials.push(loadTexture("gfx/CategoryMirror.png", true, true));        function loadTexture(fileName, backFaceCulling, hasAlpha) {        var m = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial(fileName, scene);        var texture = new BABYLON.Texture(fileName, scene);            texture.anisotropicFilteringLevel = 0;        m.diffuseTexture = texture;        m.backFaceCulling = backFaceCulling;        m.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = hasAlpha; //this is what your looking for =]        return m;    }

>.hasAlpha

Yeah, I saw that in the documentation. I don't mind writing code to add the .hasAlpha, post hoc, but this is something that should be handled in the exporter.

> How do you generate your .babylon file?

Maya -> .fbx -> BabylonExporter.exe 

I'll see about hacking the exporter code. (Or I could use Blender.  Although I think it's better to support Maya & 3DS Max, since most pro studios use one of the two).

Thanks

(DeltaKosh, could you please add this fix to the BabylonExporter repository?)

Okay, I modified the exporter code to work with alphas! 

But I don't think it's a hack.  It should be turned on by default. That model has 500K polys and it works with hasAlpha=true by default.

BabylonExport.Core > Entities > Export > StandardMaterial.cs:

babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture = new BabylonTexture();
            babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture.name = Path.GetFileName(DiffuseTexture);
            babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = true; // <=== ProfessorF Mod
Bbityl8CEAAVrlR.png

Oh. I understand. Okay, I think I have a better fix then.

The code that determines whether a texture has alpha, is in BabylonExport.Core > Exporters > ThroughXNA > XNAExporter.cs

if (texture.Format != SurfaceFormat.Dxt1)
                    {
                        filename = Path.Combine(tempPath, texturesCount + ".png");
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        filename = Path.Combine(tempPath, texturesCount + ".jpg");
                    }

I experimented with many different files, tga, png, jpg, etc. If a texture had an alpha, then the texture.Format==SurfaceFormat.Dxt5, and the code would create a .png file.  Any texture without an alpha would create a .jpg file.  NOTE: even if the file was originally a .png, if it had no alpha, the code would force it to become a .jpg.

***** NEW FIX (POSSIBLY):

BabylonExport.Core > Entities > Export > StandardMaterial.cs:

babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture = new BabylonTexture();
            babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture.name = Path.GetFileName(DiffuseTexture);
            if (babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture.name.ToLower().EndsWith(".png")) // <=== Do only if texture.Format != SurfaceFormat.Dxt1
                babylonMaterial.diffuseTexture.hasAlpha = true; // <=== ProfessorF Mod

I think that is the correct code.