Animation performance: # of animations / performance coorelation

ForgeableSum

Personally, I have not seen a noticeable correlation with the # of animations/frames and performance. In other words, suppose you add 15 different animations from a texture atlas on a sprite. That sprite will take up roughly the same memory/CPU as a sprite using the same texture but not having any animations at all. 

I've not done any testing, this is just speculation. Has anyone else done any testing or noticed any performance differences based on the # of animations or the number of frames a sprite has?

As far as I can tell, this is true. From my experience in game programming all a sprite animation is, is different images displayed in the same place over time, this is no better then just displaying the same image over and over again (This is assuming the images and the animation frames are the same size) The problem comes with more advanced animations using things like rotation and scaling to perform the animation. These operations, understandably, take much more time. 

Of course, trying to render more animations at the same time on the screen take more time, because it is simply doing more operations to render the scene. The results can differ slightly from engine to engine, depending on how well optimized the code is.I hope this answers your question!