Phaser 3 Questions

pete796

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of learning JavaScript and Phaser using a variety of resources: YouTube, videos and books. 

I have a couple of questions regarding the release of Phaser 3.

1) Will Phaser 3 invalidate my current learning, will code I write today work with P3?
2) Will P3 invalidate my learning resources?
3) Can I continue using the current version once Phaser 3 is released?

Many thanks

1 - Not really. The JavaScript you learn will be good for life, across any JS based project. Game logic and operations are also generic, good for any game framework or language (think things like managing a group of baddies, or planning out a level design). The Phaser specific code you learn will be transferable to Phaser 3. Yes the API has changed, in some areas more than others, but on the whole the concepts are still identical. You still work with Sprites, they still have physics, you still preload assets, create tweens, etc. The exact implementation may be different in places, but v3 won't require a vastly different thought process.

2 - Not sure what you mean by resources, but if you mean online tutorials, then yes - you'd need to either use v3 ones, or figure out how to translate the code from one to another.

3 - Of course. Anyone can use any version of Phaser, for as long as they like, no matter what version that is. Just be aware we'll only support v3 going forward.

Hello Rich,

Thanks for clarifying. My aim is to use my current resources (books, videos etc) to build a simple game using the current version of Phaser. 
Once there are enough training materials and demos available for v3, I will switch versions (hopefully the current tutorials will remain archived on the Phaser website).

Many thanks