How to import a .obj model ?

ILNILEY

Hey, guys.

I want to use Babylon.js to import a .obj model . But I am not sure whether I am right or not. 

In my index.html , I have imported Babylon.ObjFileLoader.js, and after creating a scene, I coded "BABYLON.SceneLoader.Load("","pinecone.obj",engine,scene);". the model file is in the same project file with my index.html.

I can't import my model successfully , error is "Failed to load resource: net ::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" .

I hope someone could tell me the steps to import a .obj model.

Hi @ILNILEY, welcome to the forum.  Yeah, a file not found is interesting.  Check your typing carefully.

Can you grab this little zip package?

http://webpages.charter.net/wingthing/webGL/objLoad.zip

It's slightly different code (uses Append instead of Load)... but it worked fine for me, here, locally... loading a little .obj file (included in package).  See if it works at your house, if you wish.

Report back, if you would, thanks.  This is likely a simple problem... so check carefully for those "hidden obvious things".  :)  Again, welcome, we'll talk more, be well.  Hope this helps, somehow.

3 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Hi @ILNILEY, welcome to the forum.  Yeah, a file not found is interesting.  Check your typing carefully.

Can you grab this little zip package?

http://webpages.charter.net/wingthing/webGL/objLoad.zip

It's slightly different code (uses Append instead of Load)... but it worked fine for me, here, locally... loading a little .obj file (included in package).  See if it works at your house, if you wish.

Report back, if you would, thanks.  This is likely a simple problem... so check carefully for those "hidden obvious things".  :)  Again, welcome, we'll talk more, be well.  Hope this helps, somehow.

Thank you for answer ,but your code doesn't work for me , the error is the same.

Well darn.  Sorry, Ilniley. 

Are you browsing index.html from a web server / web site? 

Or perhaps double-clicking on index.html  ... within a local hard drive folder?  (better way for testing)

This is puzzling.  I'll keep thinking.

Hey @ILNILEY,

What a coincidence! I was going to create a new thread exactly for this problem.

Although I haven't fixed it myself, I can see already some obviously problems with your code. Take a look here: https://doc.babylonjs.com/extensions/obj

Basically, you are not giving any path and the `Load(...)` method is for getting scenes, not objects. 

Here is how I am currently doing it and, although I am not getting any error and it gets loaded, I cannot access the `loadedMeshes` array:

let loader = new BABYLON.AssetsManager(scene);
        loader.useDefaultLoadingScreen = true;  // Set to false to remove the default loading
        let mesh_loaded_task = loader.addMeshTask(<TASK_NAME>, <MESHES_NAMES>, <PATH_TO_OBJ_FOLDER>, <FILENAME_DOT_OBJ>);

mesh_loaded_task.onSuccess = function (task) {
             task.loadedMeshes.forEach(function(m) {
                console.log("Loaded!");
                m.position = BABYLON.Vector3.Zero();
             });
        };

loader.onFinish = function() {
            engine.runRenderLoop(function () {
                scene.render();
            });
        };

loader.load();

Try this and enjoy. If anyone sees a problem with this, let me know :D

EDIT: For some reason I was led to believe loadedMeshes was an array. Instead `forEach` needs to be used.