Advice to create a words based game

Youssef-elm

Hi ,

I'm new to game developement and i want to build a simple mobile game where to goal is to guess a word . I only need a word ( Tip ) to be displayed and a the player writes his guesses in a keyboard and  there is a (+) animation when his guess is wright .
I dont know which framework to use , should i use react or phaser ??
Thanks for your help

It's simple enough that you don't need a framework at all but Phaser isn't designed for this sort of this, React (and other application libraries, Vue, Ember, Angular etc) are.

You might want to check-out a stream library (most, rxjs etc), most have good examples of pinging off events as the user is typing and having that update some state somewhere and triggering a re-draw so you can display the X or Tick for fail/success. You don't need the stream though, React (and reactlikes, or which there are many) is particularly good at this behaviour of syncing user operations, state updates and re-draws.

With regards to handling events, Phaser its-self is also using Phaser.Signal to trigger specific kind of events. So from my point of view, it's definitely doable in either React or Phaser.

With Phaser however, you application may feel morel like a real game, where in the other case it may fell like a simple web-page with animated text. 

8 hours ago, Firenibbler said:

I do not recommend using a conventional canvas for this project, maybe try a DOM canvas hybrid or just straight DOM. Try checking out Game Query for a possible engine for this project, as it is a DOM game engine based on the popular jQuary library.

Okay thanks . I'm a bit confused but i will look that up

You can't, they're totally separate things and its unlikely React would play nicely with something that keeps important state in the DOM (as I'm pretty sure that lib will do).

You don't need anything complex for what you want to achieve and you certainly don't need anything targeting games as you just won't need most of what they provide, even though you are creating a game.

12 hours ago, mattstyles said:

You can't, they're totally separate things and its unlikely React would play nicely with something that keeps important state in the DOM (as I'm pretty sure that lib will do).

You don't need anything complex for what you want to achieve and you certainly don't need anything targeting games as you just won't need most of what they provide, even though you are creating a game.

Yes, I agree with @mattstyles For what you are doing, don't use an engine at all, or if you absolutely must use one, use a lightweight DOM one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, Youssef-elm said:

Hi ,

I'm new to game developement and i want to build a simple mobile game where to goal is to guess a word . I only need a word ( Tip ) to be displayed and a the player writes his guesses in a keyboard and  there is a (+) animation when his guess is wright .
I dont know which framework to use , should i use react or phaser ??
Thanks for your help

Using Phaser is fine. (hint : the secret word is : phaser)

https://jsfiddle.net/cwLfqu0x/3/