Android Stock Browser

alex_h

Is the Android stock browser the same piece of software on all Android phones running the same OS version? For example, is the stock browser on an HTC one running Android 4.3 the same as the Android stock browser you get on a Samsung S4 running Android 4.3? Or are either of those going to be HTC or Samsung customised versions? The reason I ask is for purposes of debugging, I've had some issues reported with a game running on an HTC One in the stock browser, but I can't see myself being able to get hold of one of them for testing, whereas I am planning to buy a Samsung device in the next week or so.

No they're not. Each vendor seems to want to add their own little twists and oddities into the mix. For example Samsung often pimp out the stock browser with Samsung specific things, and their own strange blend of traditionally buggy GPU acceleration. In the most part they're "close enough", and now most vendors have switched to Chrome anyway then it's even less of an issue, but it would be wrong of me to suggest that your Samsung stock browser experience would be the same as an HTC, because it just won't.

Thanks, exactly what I was hoping would not be the answer  ;)

I wonder if I could replicate the issue in an emulator? Might be easier than trying to find somebody to lend me an HTC One! I have IntelliJ running an Android emulator on my mac at work so I guess I might be able to configure an HTC One system to test with there. I'm never entirely convinced that you'll get quite the same behaviour in an emulator environment though, but it's probably better than nothing.

I'm still waiting for more clarification but it seems the game stops rendering to canvas for some reason when played in the HTC stock browser. Apparently you can get it to start again by rotating to portrait and back. This is happening in a newly updated version of a game that is built with my own framework. Thinking about it though, I haven't changed anything that ought to affect the basic rendering path in this update, and previously it always worked fine on Samsung devices. So perhaps that would suggest that it really is a problem I'll only see on HTC devices. Whatever the case it is probably going to be impossible to fix unless I can find some way to replicate the issue!

Targeting Android stock browser on all versions of android lower than Jellybean is going to be a real pain and may not be worth the effort in the long run, targeting iOS7 and android versions Jellybean and above may be good enough.

I keep an eye on this site http://isandroidgoodyet.com/ for android stats, which pulls data from here http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html, in kitkat and above we will no longer have to worry about android as chrome will be the default.