Sponza Demo: FPS gets down after 5 minutes?

heyzxz

Hello, 

I ask this because I got exact the same problem with my currently developing game...

Here is how Sponza Demo work on my computer ( http://www.babylonjs.com/Demos/Sponza/, BTW what a fantastic demo! :)):

Within the first 5 minutes from beginning, everything goes fine:

Stable 60 FPS, perfectly smooth animation and interaction, and the GPU render time is about 1ms or less, which is really great. See attach below:

Before.jpg.9d61ce3d282d75e8591e811611550af1.jpg

But, after about 5 minutes later, things are going to be changed:  No more smooth,  the FPS is going down to 30 or even less ( shown in the builtin stats panel: ctrl+shift+D ),  and the DevTool showed me this:

After.jpg.303648a1f94577beef66298011992a67.jpg

As you can see, the GPU blocks get bigger, which are 20ms or longer... 

(No other problems found for js part or memory, only GPU.)

Well it looks probably NOT a BJS problem, but I'm still wondering how this demo running on you guys' computers? Can the fps be persistent 60 on your computer (even after a long time)?

As I said above, my currently developing project has the same problem on my computer, I have to worry about if this is a common case for most primary mid-level/average computers/desktops. 

Or, any advise for FPS/GPU optimizing? 

Here is my hardware environment :

- Computer( I only have this one ):  Macbook Pro retina, 15-inch, mid 2015, with graphics card AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

- Test browser: Chrome 57

Thank you!

46 minutes ago, RedMax said:

I recently noticed that my laptop overheated after a short period of time and that my GPU throttled down. So I had exactly the same effect as you. It was solved by cleaning all the fans and coolers :)

Could you please run the Sponza Demo  and let me know your FPS after 5 minutes (or longer)?  And also your graphics card info, thank you :) 

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words on Sponza. :)

I've just done a test on my machine and it's steady at 60 fps for 5 minutes, under Chrome 57 also. Are you doing your tests with a single tab opened? 

Which version of babylon.js are you using? 2.5 or the nightly (used by Sponza)? @Deltakosh has recently a massive rework on the way to handle the material for better performance but we may have missed something you're currently encountering. 

Thanks,

David

Hi @davrous, yes only one tab opened.

The bellow screenshot is a test I just made right now, it shows the fps is 30 after 8 minutes (7:35pm - 7:43pm). You can also see the version is v3.0-alpha.

screen.thumb.jpg.d80a7725d27c355fecccd5bc51eaaab4.jpg

I also found that when it becomes to lag, 'disable the lights' have some help, FPS can get back higher, but still not steady at 60.

Another thinking is does retina display (2880 x1440? ) is too much for webgl rendering? Because I also found if scale the window smaller, the fps gets back 60 immediately;  But once scale back, the fps reduces to 30 again...

@heyzxz
then it's orbviously having a hard time keeping up :P  

It could be because of a build-up of dust/dirt,
newer pc's usually have dust screens infront of most fans, it's basicly a tight-nettet screen designed to catch most of the dust before it enters your pc, if allowed to build-up, it will block the intakes so the fans are not very effective.
try cleaning your fans & (if it has any) dust screens with a vacuum cleaner, it should take the worst of it :) (turn off your pc first)

Another reason could be that your pc just isn't powerful enough to continously run a "high-demand" scene at such a high resolution.

9 minutes ago, aWeirdo said:

@heyzxz
then it's orbviously having a hard time keeping up :P  

It could be because of a build-up of dust/dirt,
newer pc's usually have dust screens infront of most fans, it's basicly a tight-nettet screen designed to catch most of the dust before it enters your pc, if allowed to build-up, it will block the intakes so the fans are not very effective.
try cleaning your fans & (if it has any) dust screens with a vacuum cleaner, it should take the worst of it :) (turn off your pc first)

Another reason could be that your pc just isn't powerful enough to continously run a "high-demand" scene at such a high resolution.

Thank you I'll try this .  But currently I'm in little doubt about this...  Because I don't think my computer is that old (bought in mid-2015) and I'm not living in the desert  :). Any way, I'll clean it and then do a test again.

Thank you.

I was courious, but my fps stays 60 after 5 minutes.

UHD (3840x2160)
GTX-970
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz
32GB

Is this the only webGL thing running?
Sometimes i forget that I have several other playgrounds and other webgl stuff, or shadertoy in the background...

@heyzxz 
It has little to do with the age of your computer, more to do with whats in-side it :P 

Apple is famous for their beautiful & high quality designs, retina display, etc, so that's mostly what you pay for when you purchase one.

e.g.
If you look at two pc's, one windows and one mac, with roughly the same "power" (cpu, gpu, ram, etc),
you'll often pay 2-4 times more (retail) for the mac, depending on the manufacturer and quality of the windows pc.

also, just to visualize the blocked dust screen/filter ,

imagine trying to breathe with this over your mouth :D ; (it's supposed to be see through) 

fileterblocked.jpg