Cannot load mesh after having it converted into .babylon

Nesh108

Hello!

I have been trying to load some OBJ files with Babylon. After a few attempts, I managed to get it up and running:

BABYLON.OBJFileLoader.OPTIMIZE_WITH_UV = true;
        let loader = new BABYLON.AssetsManager(this.scene);
        loader.useDefaultLoadingScreen = false;

let player_task = loader.addMeshTask('player_mesh', '', MESH_PATH, 'player.obj');

player_task.onSuccess = function (task) {
                    // Meshes
                    task.loadedMeshes.forEach(function(m) {
                        m.position = BABYLON.Vector3.Zero();
                        m.scaling.x = 0.13;
                        m.scaling.y = 0.13;
                        m.scaling.z = 0.13;

this.set_player_mesh(m);
                    }.bind(this));
            }.bind(this);

}

loader.onFinish = function() {
            this.babylon_engine.runRenderLoop(function () {
                this.scene.render();
            }.bind(this));
        }.bind(this);

loader.load();

I had to create an empty 'player.obj.manifest', otherwise it would complain, and everything worked. All good here but when I try to load the same exact OBJ but converted into a .babylon file (I am doing this just because I need to import some animations), the mesh seems to be loaded but nothing gets displayed.

I removed the 'BABYLON.OBJFileLoader.OPTIMIZE_WITH_UV = true;' as it would not be needed and changed the filename to 'player.babylon. I tried testing it out on some playgrounds but still nothing.

Are there other changes needed? Also, is there a way to just simply load an OBJ with animations without having to convert it to a babylon file? That would definitely save me tons of time...

I have attached here the mesh I am using.

Goku.babylon

Hello

here is some doc about the manifest: http://doc.babylonjs.com/tutorials/caching_resources_in_indexeddb

Regarding the obj, you cannot renamed it to .babylon as it is not a babylon file :)

Can you run scene.debugLayer.show() to display the inspector? It will help you figure out if there is a camera and a light for instance

Hi guys.  PG version:  http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#10MM3T#3

Doesn't work, but SOMETHING is inside scene.meshes.  .getTotalVertices() returns 0, as mentioned earlier. 

No .material on mesh, either.  Adding one changed nothing.

Old exporter version?  *shrug*  I'll keep thinking.

Deltakosh:  "divinity"  :)  Cool use of that word.

Sorry for the slow response - I've been confined to bed fighting a major health issue for over a week :(

I took a look at both the .babylon file that @Wingnut used and the one that @Nesh108 posted above - both seem to have been produced with an old version of the Blender Babylon Exporter :(

The current up-to-date exporter will produce something like this as a first line:

{"producer":{"name":"Blender","version":"2.76 (sub 0)","exporter_version":"5.2.0","file":"filename.babylon"},

The "Goku" files that I looked at do not have this line. However, they do have "light" and "camera" arrays right at the top of the file - which with the latest version of the BBE are now found at the end of the file.

The files also have a large "vertex" array - so I have no idea why @Wingnut's test produces 0 for total verts.

First suggestion - update the Exporter and try re-exporting the mesh.

If that fails, please can you post  your .blend file @Nesh108 , so I can look for other  file issues

@Deltakosh and @Wingnut: the words of Erasmus about the "one-eyed man" spring to mind.

cheers, gryff :)

@gryff - GET WELL SOON!  Sorry to hear you are sick. 

I "liked" everything else you said in that post, though.  :)

Yeah, I think the mesh did a parse-flop.  Deserialization explosion.  SceneLoader said "yech, this beer is stale"  :)

And I happen to KNOW that you have AT LEAST 7 eyes... although a few of them could be dozing.