Unity Exporter With Spaghetti Animations

MackeyK24

When using Unity Export To Export Animations 3 THREE Things You REALLY need to be aware of:

1... Try to make only 1 single mesh. Any more than that will cause your scene file to GROW exponentially with each additional skin piece.

2... Re-Skin (or Reset) your model max number influencers to 4. Unity will 'Cull' your bone influencers if not 1, 2 or 4... No more than that.

3... The FBX Exporter Ignores un-weighted bones... THEY WILL SHOW IN UNITY BUT THEY WILL NOT BE included in the internal SkinnedMeshRender.bones collection as well as they WILL NOT BE included in the Mesh.bindPoses collection.

Unity Forums 

The FBX exporter ignores unused bones when it comes to exporting teh vertex weights, so they show up as the hierarchy in Unity but are not added to the bones array of the SkinnedMeshRenderer component.

The solution:

Give the missing bones a keyframe and/or a weight (it's enough if it's just 0.01 for the single closest vertex).

Original thread here:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/166568/skinnedmeshrenderer-missing-bone.html

@MackeyK24 : I'm curious to know the impact of scale and rotation differences of meshes and rig on the "spaghetti animations" - an issue we have been dealing with and Blender export since Dec. 2014.

In the image below, you can see a free Mixamo rigged model (Zed with 66 bones) imported into Blender. You can see that there are scale and rotation values to line the rig up with the mesh. Attempting to animate this figure will lead to animation grief.- in fact the Blender Exporter will cancel the import of such a rig.

Do you have these issues when exporting from Unity?

cheers, gryff :)

rig1.png

3 minutes ago, gryff said:

@MackeyK24 : I'm curious to know the impact of scale and rotation differences of meshes and rig on the "spaghetti animations" - an issue we have been dealing with and Blender export since Dec. 2014.

In the image below, you can see a free Mixamo rigged model (Zed with 66 bones) imported into Blender. You can see that there are scale and rotation values to line the rig up with the mesh. Attempting to animate this figure will lead to animation grief.- in fact the Blender Exporter will cancel the import of such a rig.

Do you have these issues when exporting from Unity?

cheers, gryff :)

rig1.png

Send me that fbx model.... Ill run it thru with the scale on the model and put it thru the dance animations... I like to use the dance type animations for testing the bones and mesh deformation, because the dancing type things use WIDE range of motions... And when things ARE NOT QUITE rights... It shows in the dance.

Anyways... send me model and ill take a look :)

FYI... Rotation is ok... have not tried scaling... but i imagine will be ok....  Take a look at this from another thread. The video show a non standard rig with its own animation and the mesh and bones have a 90 deg rotation on them... But after cleaning  using my Maya Art Tools (but you can clean in whatever modeling software you like... Just keep in mind the points above when going through the Unity Pipeline)

:)

Hey @aWeirdo ... I made another one with sound... Animation is working knees look good and hands... Is Using NON-Standard or Legacy Unity 'Animation' component. Not the newer 'Animator'  component which uses the built-in unity human ik control rigs (mechanim system)

My clean up progress: http://mackey.cloud/files/videos/u3dcleaningi.mp4

Should work after a bit of 'U3D - BabylonJS: Game Ready Art Preparation' ... That is going to be my next video... I wanna show some of my new 'Babylon Game Art Tools' for both Maya (low-level art cleaning tools) and Unity (design time art optimization tools):

Like :

1... Mesh Optimizer (combine and separate clean native geometry)

2... Extract (clean optimized native) meshes from complete unity scenes KEEPING the original object transform matrix.

3... Pre Bake Texture Atlas For Static Meshes (combined and separate meshes support)

4... Pre Bake Texture Atlas Skin For Skinned Meshes With Multiple Materials

5... Static Batching By Material At Runtime (actually Export time)

6... And my brand spanking new High Dynamic Range Tone Mapper... Tone map HDR cubemaps to 24-bit png or jpeg... (For use with my upcoming... Hopefully soon, but need help implementing RGBCubeTexture.ts that will be a RGB panorama skybox to use JUST like HDECubeTexture but with LDR RGB pixels instead... That way we can very kool looking skyboxes from HDRLIB without all the HEAVY HDR processing... The Magic Tone Mapper Will do that at design time and WebGL can load a much lighter web friendly version of a HDR skybox... Tone Mapped to 24-bit regular images)

Stay Tuned :)