Racing game on uneven terrain

fdssdfsdgfdgs

I'm trying to create a racing game using BabylonJS (very similar to this: http://hexgl.bkcore.com/play/). The game track is an uneven mesh with walls. All the the physics collision examples I have seen use a plane for a ground surface, or a heightmap. I tried using Oimo.js, setting the track as a MeshImposter, and my racing vehicle as a BoxImposter. This isn't working at all... The BoxImposter collides with the MeshImposter way before they visually appear to touch. Is there a better way to do this?

Also, should I be using a physics engine for the vehicle movement itself? Or would it be better to handle its movement manually?

Hi Port25, welcome to the forum.  No replies, yet, eh?  Sorry.

The MeshImpostor is a CannonJS-only thing, and it only interacts with spheres, at this time.  So, you're a bit limited, in that scneario.  With your track being a meshImpostor, your racing vehicle must use sphereImpostor(s).  With a one-sphereImpostor vehicle, the realism would likely be somewhat weak, and you would probably need to set that sphereImpostor to .fixedRotation = true.

Another way... is using multiple sphereImpostors on the vehicle, connected together with tightly-constrained physics joints/links (joints/links - same thing). 

One thing to think about:  SphereImpostors have very little surface contact with any other impostors, so they are essentially friction-less.  Not good for mass-active wheeled vehicles with sideways inertia (during cornering).  If the sphereImpostor(s) is/are rolling upon the meshImpostor, they CAN work pretty nice.  But if they start skidding/sliding, it would be like ice.

Also, physics engines can get a bit "heavy" on the CPU performance, so racing speeds could be limited.  A non-physics engine approach would probably keep the speeds substantially better.

I'm not sure what the best approach is, here.  I'll keep thinking.  Perhaps others will have ideas, so stay tuned.  :)