Importing Animations (Mixamo)

Sophie C

I've been playing around with animation, but Blender's methods are a bit unreliable on the usual export/import, let alone Babylon.js's plugin. Importing Collada files and turning them into Babylon's files has resulted in a mixed bag of bugs. Mostly, the meshes don't fit the skeleton and are shifted very far off. However, the resting posiion of my armature and the way I've skinned the meshes (Mixamo mostly) don't reflect the bugs I get. In addition, the animations are distributed between the bones, and are not stored in the main skeleton, though I feel like that's not a problem- just kind of inconvenient.

I worry now that perhaps I've been going about it the wrong way, so is there anything I'm doing wrong? I'd really appreciate tips on what I'm doing.

Example included of a distortion of a woman fist-pumping. The skeleton is so small, you can't see it if you want to also include the full mesh. In blender, it imports fine (when it successfully imports) but upon exporting the file kind of changes. 

2.png

@Sophie C : Ahh the "Spaghetti Monster". First saw this over three years ago :o

The image below is of a free Mixamo mesh(Zed) and rig imported into Blender. Upper part of the image highlights the Armature(Rig), the lower part the mesh.

Three things to point out:

A. the origins of the mesh and rig are different
B. the rotations of mesh and rig are different
C. the scales of mesh and rig are different.

This needs to be fixed otherwise you will get the kind of result you are getting.  Zed is one of the worst examples I have seen.

Rather than try to give general instructions, could you post your blend file so that I can suggest fixes for your particular case.

cheers, gryff :)

mixamo1.png

Thank you so much, the advice fixed it! (The body was scaled 0.10x.) I guess I fell into a bit of a common newbie problem, especially since I'm both new to Babylon and Blender, but it's definitely good to know about and fun to laugh at! I guess that was a quick solve!

For future reference, what shall i do if I want to scale everything down? (This model is a bit large... I'm worried scaling everything will still cause spaghetti.)

2.png

3 hours ago, Sophie C said:

For future reference, what shall i do if I want to scale everything down? (This model is a bit large... I'm worried scaling everything will still cause spaghetti.)

@Sophie C : that is why I wanted to look at your .blend file. There can be other issues and further scale reduction is one of them. It won't cause "spaghetti" but you can see weirdness in the animation where there are translations involved (walk animations for example). They won't get scaled with the rig and the mesh.

If you could post your .blend file (fixed) here ... or if you want through a private message ... so much easier to have an actual case to work with.

@gryff as Deltakosh said, this should be on blender exporter doc. I was in vacation these last weeks but now I will continue updating this doc, but animation is not my speciality, so :

• do you want directly contrib to the doc about animation part ? or
  • is it possible that you make kind of things to do when playing with skeleton and send me this explanations so I can include these in doc ? with a simple .blend example this can be a great thing :)

@Sophie C Thanks for the file :) She is a big lady!!:o

I will take a look at a couple of possibilities to see how we might fix her. As I said before, the issue is going to be with the translation of the hip bone in the animation.

I have a couple of ideas - but no guarantees.