Some questions

VaragtP

I am just starting to port my first html5 game and so far the market is still very confusing.. :P Could someone please see if they have time to clearify some questions I have?

I have heard there is no sitelocking on Html5 games, and no primary licence like on Flash. So if you upload your game to say FGL, without any branding or necessary outgoing links, what is stopping publishers from just taking that "clean" version? Why would they be interested in purchasing if they can just take the game? To have their logo?

Are ads used in Html5 games like on flash? Could that be a way then to prevent publishers to just take the game? By having ads in the "free" version? Or maybe that does not even work, since then it would work to sitelock also?

What are the prefered controls on  Html5? Can you do keyboard based games, or do it have to be only mouse, since many play on the mobile?

I also heard that html5 games are completely open, like the source code. Does that mean people can just strip out everything, like the graphics files and everything?

1) HTML 5 games are basically JS games, and as JS runs inside the browser, nothing prevent people to take your game, copy it on some other website and even modify it. You can't prevent that. However what you can do is rely on some server services, like for high-scores or game content. The server sided part of your game cannot be copied so easily, and can then be used as "copy protection".

2) I don't know specialized ads for HTML5 games, but google own ads should work.

3) The game I'm developing myself will use keyboard and mouse, but everyone is free to design his/her game differently. It pretty much depends on the goal you have, if it must run on mobile devices or not etc.

4) Again, yes, you can't prevent people to watch the JS code of your game, nor grab your art. However as I already said you could have a server side component which could hide some of the logic.

So if you upload your game to say FGL, without any branding or necessary outgoing links, what is stopping publishers from just taking that "clean" version?

Note that this same problem applies to Flash games too. It isn't exactly difficult to decompile and steal a Flash game from mentioned service if one is inclined to do so. However, as far as I know those incidents are rather rare in FGL so I think you can trust the "honor code" of the place. Other than that I don't know exactly how html5 game sponsorships work there. 

Also, the open source and assets stuff applies to Flash games too (except that html5 is a bit easier) but afaik it's quite rare so it's probably not worth to worry about. More important is to prevent simple hacking by changing variables via browser's developer tools. For this you probably need some server-side logic like a_bertrand said. Then again I wouldn't bother with it unless the game is competitive and has online highscores which require server anyway.

Forget site locking => that actually do not work neither for Flash nor for HTML5. Or I should say, you can't site lock a game which runs purely on the browser, unless you have a server side part of it, for example to make it MMO or load content dinamicaly or for whatever else reasons. The server code cannot be copied over which would then lock the game to it, unless the "hacker" would rewrite a server too.

Ads can be added to your HTML5 game pretty much as you can add ads to a flash game.

Sitelocking works on Flash I think. If you wanted to place a flash game up on FGL to seek a sponsorship, and at the same time sent out emails that linked to a completely sitelock free no sponsor branding on your site I am pretty sure that version would spread rather quick to some sites. But you can just link publishers to your open html5 game and there is no problem with spreading? Or is it really not a problem since there are not normal sponsorship on html5? (there are still the exclusive deals though I have heard, so that to me seems like problem?)

I know you can do it if you really want to with decompilers. Still I think sitelocking helps. I would never dream of putting up a totally clean sitelock free version of my flash game on a site and sending out emails for sponsor to look at it while it is also in bidding on FGL. I *think* most flash developers on FGL would agree with this?