How to iterate through collidable tiles in a State?

Tangaroa

Working from meanderingleaf's example of a platformer game, https://github.com/meanderingleaf/PhaserBookExamples/blob/master/platformer/src/states/Level1.js

Land tiles are defined by: this.map.setCollisionBetween(6,25,true,this.layer);

Unlike the other objects in the level, these tiles are not added to a Group.

I would like to draw rectangles around the collision areas of the land tiles using this.game.debug.geom(), and preferably other collidables as well. However, I am having trouble finding where they are inside the State object. It is not clear what the numbers in this.collideIndexes are indexes to. this.map.tiles[] holds arrays of three integers, not Tiles, and the locations cover where the tiles are placed in their spritesheet and not the tiles are placed inside the level. Where do I find the collidable objects that were created by map.setCollisionBetween?

I have some additional questions about managing collisions with land in platformers. How do you...

1. Change the collision area of the land tiles to a thin rectangle so the player could jump up partway through the bottom of the tile?
2. Allow the player to move through a tile, but only from one direction? (jump up from below)
3. Allow the player or an enemy to jump down through a tile they are standing on, without turning off the tile's collisions for everything else?
4. Allow certain groups of moving objects to move through land tiles?

First try

tilemapLayer.debug = true;

That will show the colliding edges.

The tiles themselves aren't display objects. The only display objects are the TilemapLayers, which are a special kind of Sprite.

Tilemap#collideIndexes refers to Tile#index, a tile-in-tileset identifier.

The per-layer tile data is in Tilemap#layers[LAYER].data.

1. This is a little tricky. I think you could add a collision callback, check the overlap amount, and cancel the collision if the overlap is too small.
  2. You can modify, e.g., Phaser.Tile#collideUp. Do it after all the setCollision* work because you don't want to recalculate collision edges (which would reset it).
  3. Probably in a collision callback.
  4. Probably in a collision callback. If the group can move through any tile, you can just skip calling collide for that group.

See the Tilemap notes in Phaser.Physics.Arcade#collide too.