WebGL Texture bound to texture unit 0 is not renderable

Sporktrooper

WebGL: drawElements: texture bound to texture unit 0 is not renderable. It maybe non-power-of-2 and have incompatible texture filtering or is not 'texture complete'. Or the texture is Float or Half Float type with linear filtering while OES_float_linear or OES_half_float_linear extension is not enabled. 

I get the above error when I try to add a tile sprite as a background image. I've done some research, and I know about the "power of 2" bit. Indeed, converting my texture to a power of 2 does fix the issue. What makes me curious, though, is the fact that non-power-of-2 textures from the Examples pack work just fine. I have taken assets/misc/starfield.jpg from the example pack and modified it in photoshop to test this, and it works as expected. However, if I make a brand new jpg and give it the same resolution, that WebGL error appears.

Is there something special about the jpegs bundled with the examples that I don't know about? A specific ppi requirement? I have no idea. I can work around it, but it still leaves me curious.

• 1 month later...