failed from the start

wp2000

So I just started learning.  I installed WAMP, started up the server, and went to localhost.  Everything looks fine.  I then download the Hello Phaser example and put it in the www directory.  I go to localhost, and the hellophaser folder is now present.  I go to the hellophaser folder, and all I get is a blank page.  The title bar text has updated appropriately, but I get no phaser logo.  The png file seems to be okay, I can open up the javascript and html files without issues.  I press F12 and there are no errors in the debugging menu.  What is wrong?

IE 

Check the network panel in the dev tools to be sure it has loaded the JS files it needs. Also, which browser are you testing in?

I'm sorry, I am a super newbie.  Where is the network panel and where are the dev tools?  I am using IE 11.

EDIT: Also, if I am not actively contributing to the phaser community, is there a point in using Github, especially since you have to copy the folder into your localhost directory each time it changes?

EDIT: Okay, I looked in the network panel of the F12 debugging menu, and there is nothing there.

This can be a few things. For starters have you used WAMP before and is it working on localhost? Is the W in the system tray either orange or green? If WAMP is working right then usually the address to access the files are localhost/foldername. You don't need to tell it to read any index files or specific js files. Just the folder and the rest will be done on its own. If you have the full phaser file source code with resources/examples etc etc, then add the phaser folder and type this in the address bar and see if it load the examples localhost/phaser/examples

Thank you for responding.  WAMP is working correctly.  The page looks like this: http://tobbynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wamp-localhost-page1.jpg, except the Your Projects section has the hellophaser folder (which I downloaded from the Getting Started guide).

I copied the entire phaser folder into the localhost, and the examples seem to be working fine.

I also started doing this tutorial: http://www.photonstorm.com/phaser/tutorial-making-your-first-phaser-game

None of it works.  Still a blank page.

I expect IE is falling into Quirks mode, and dropping back to IE8 or something that doesn't have the required level of support that Phaser needs. You can confirm this by opening the IE Dev Tools, and finding this part:

post-1-0-32676700-1391192351.png

If it doesn't say "Edge mode" (or IE10/IE11 would be fine too) then it won't work. The meta tags used in the html of the page control what it falls in to. I set them up for the Examples so this doesn't happen, but it's possible the tutorial one doesn't have the meta tags it needs because, honestly, you should use Chrome to develop in ;)

• 3 months later...