Using Phaser for FB Instant Games

maninduw

Hi, I am planning to develop a game for Facebook Instant Games platform using Phaser. Should I choose Phaser 3? or should I continue with Phaser 2 ? Is there a huge difference in the APIs of both version? . I would highly appreciate your opinion on this.

Best Regards

Internally there is a huge difference between Phaser 2 and Phaser 3. In using it there are also some differences - but they don't follow completely different paradigms.
Only you can really answer this question, but I can however point you to some things to consider.

Phaser 3 is very new and not a lot of examples are present - and those that are, are pretty well hidden. The documentation is not ready yet, etc. This makes it pretty difficult to work with if you have some experience with Phaser 2 - and very hard if you have never used a game engine before. You can work partially around it by looking into the source of Phaser 3 yourself and figuring things out through that - but some things are pretty hard to find that way.

When will this be easier? I cannot promise anything - but I do think that within a year there are many more examples available and many questions asked and answered. Many bugs will be found and removed, etc.

Soo, it's really up to you if you want to dive into the Phaser code, struggle with finding the right ways of doing stuff, etc - or you just want to make a game the most easiest way. For the latter choose Phaser 2.0.

28 minutes ago, elleniaw said:

Internally there is a huge difference between Phaser 2 and Phaser 3. In using it there are also some differences - but they don't follow completely different paradigms.
Only you can really answer this question, but I can however point you to some things to consider.

Phaser 3 is very new and not a lot of examples are present - and those that are, are pretty well hidden. The documentation is not ready yet, etc. This makes it pretty difficult to work with if you have some experience with Phaser 2 - and very hard if you have never used a game engine before. You can work partially around it by looking into the source of Phaser 3 yourself and figuring things out through that - but some things are pretty hard to find that way.

When will this be easier? I cannot promise anything - but I do think that within a year there are many more examples available and many questions asked and answered. Many bugs will be found and removed, etc.

Soo, it's really up to you if you want to dive into the Phaser code, struggle with finding the right ways of doing stuff, etc - or you just want to make a game the most easiest way. For the latter choose Phaser 2.0.

Thanks for the answer. I will try out Phaser CE.