Question about soft shadow

BlackMojito

How can I achieve the shadow effect like in the attached screenshot? 

I tried to use a directional light with the direction (0, -1, 0) and then played around with different kinds of blur parameters, but haven't successfully produced such effect. I supposed that it is possible by blurring the shadow texture right? Can someone point me out how to adjust the parameters? 5ab1090e831eb_AutodeskViewerFreeOnlineFileViewer-GoogleChrome.jpg.7ad7150d90ec168e0f13b0ca39b3f89f.jpg

8 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

You  may also want to consider blurred shadows: http://doc.babylonjs.com/babylon101/shadows#soft-shadows

Thanks @Deltakosh, the soft shadow was what I tried first. Please look at the code snippet below. Basically I got two issues. The first one was that the blurred shadow was not "large" enough so we see very little shadow. The second one is I got some banding issues like the second screenshot shows. 

PS: I do not really want the shadow that big like the one in the initial post. I just want something a little bit larger so that we can see it. ;)

Any suggestion, big boss ?

this._shadowGenerator = new BABYLON.ShadowGenerator(512, <BABYLON.IShadowLight>(this._lights.getValue(RenderScene._shadowLightName)));
this._shadowGenerator.useBlurExponentialShadowMap = true;
this._shadowGenerator.useKernelBlur = true;
this._shadowGenerator.blurKernel = 32;
this._shadowGenerator.bias = 0.01;
this._shadowGenerator.setDarkness(0.25);

softshadow.jpg

softshadow2.jpg

Just move your light farther or closer to your building and you can control the size and the precision of the shadow

If you can provide a playground we could update it together

9 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

Just move your light farther or closer to your building and you can control the size and the precision of the shadow

OK. So I might need to replace my directional light by a spot light?

9 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

thanks boss, by using a spot light. I can get what I want now. Directional light use orthographic projection so that the distance does not affect anything, right?

image.png