WebVR Controller Forward Vector

MackeyK24

Yp @davrous ... Have you ever noticed when using the headset in webvr, if you turn your headset  (or body while wearing headset) around 180 degress... The controller is STILL BEHIND you... the laser beam and the webvr DOT is showing the correct way but the beam is coming from underneath and behind you... its still in the position as if your rotation was 0 or facing front from where you sync you controller. When in the regular oculus interface and you turn around the controller is still in front (and slight offset to right if set to right handed) of you and the beam does not look like its coming from behind and underneath you.

I think we should be taking into account our front vector or head rotation or something to offset that... What do you think ???

That is correct. the 3dof ... I imagine the 6dof does not have this problem since it uses position. The 3dof position is locked and only does rotation... problem is that the position that is locked can be behind your front looking direction giving the appearance of the beam coming from underneath you and you no long can see your controller 

@trevordev - great work!  would be nice if there was a 3DoF (orientation-only) Controller class or even better some "composition over inheritance", so that Daydream controller and perhaps even Generic controller could benefit from this.  In the spec for WebVR there is a read-only "hasPosition", so you could detect and add this functionality.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/VRDisplayCapabilities/hasPosition

I just borrowed a Daydream headset when I added it and don't have my GearVR now.  Would be nice if it was added lower in the class hierarchy somehow.  Should be easy enough to test at least the Generic controller by removing support for GearVR.  The controllers would only need to map buttons.  Only thing I don't know is if 'hasPosition' changes - my suspicion is that as a Capability that it would never change.