Why parameters on Geometries have no effect?

leota

I have created a BoxGeometry and then added it to a Mesh. The problem is that no matter what size a give it, it always gets rendered as size=1.

I also created a box using BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateBox(), and there it works fine, size is updated as expected.

Here's the PG: http://playground.babylonjs.com/#UUJWXS

Problem is at line 14:

var box = new BABYLON.BoxGeometry('box', scene, 8, true, mesh, 4);

as you can see size is set to 8, but actually it gets rendered smaller the the other box which has size 4.

Where have seen that a box could be created just from a geometry object ?

In BJS, a geometry is a logical (maths) object. A geometry is created when a mesh is created usually. Not the inverse. You can create a geometry for logical purposes and attach it to any mesh, but this won't change the mesh shape.

29 minutes ago, jerome said:

Where have seen that a box could be created just from a geometry object ?

In BJS, a geometry is a logical (maths) object. A geometry is created when a mesh is created usually. Not the inverse. You can create a geometry for logical purposes and attach it to any mesh, but this won't change the mesh shape.

I come from Three.js, where you create a geometry and the assign it to a Mesh, and that's what the mesh will look like. So from what you're saying this is not possible in BJS, and I'm a bit confused about some concepts.

What's the purpose of having a BoxGeometry class then? Can you please make a pratical example where I can use geometries?

The goal is not to have two concepts for one thing: the geometry is an internal storage that can be used by several meshes but you should not have to worry about.

You want a sphere? BABYLON.Mesh.CreateSphere is the way to go. For more control you can also use BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateSphere

They will both return meshes.

Internally there is a geometry that can be shared between meshes if you create clone.

27 minutes ago, Deltakosh said:

The goal is not to have two concepts for one thing: the geometry is an internal storage that can be used by several meshes but you should not have to worry about.

You want a sphere? BABYLON.Mesh.CreateSphere is the way to go. For more control you can also use BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateSphere

They will both return meshes.

Internally there is a geometry that can be shared between meshes if you create clone.

Ok thanks, it makes sense now.