Get and Set Quaternion?

Wintersun

Hello, newbie here coming from both 3d World and Web dev World.

currently I'm working on a project and I've made 3 handles for user to rotate the mesh on local Axis everything works fine. when the user finished doing what he does, I save the object rotation by getting the quaternion like this mesh.rotationQuaternion and save it either as separate values for x y z and w or whole object, but after reloading when I apply the same quaternion rotation to the object like mesh.rotationQuaternion = new BABYLON.Quaternion(this.rx, this.ry, this.rz, this.ra); I get a squashed and streched mesh in so many ways and it's not the same shape at all. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @Wintersun and welcome from me. You can just put your basic methods into a PG to see what happens. Here is a simple example where one box is created and rotated, the rotation stored, the box rotated again and the stored rotation applied to a different box obtaining the first rotation. If you want to re-apply it to the original box then take out the comment from the penultimate line.

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#4GEDM2

Perhaps you can build on this to show how you carry out rotations, store them and re-apply them.

4 hours ago, Wintersun said:

mesh.rotationQuaternion = new BABYLON.Quaternion(this.rx, this.ry, this.rz, this.ra);

Here is another example.  Note what the Quaternion is (y,x,z), so different than Vector3.
https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1ST43U#54
Still that should do any squashing if you get those backwards...
edit: oops. the main constructor is x,y,z,a, but I normally use RotationYawPitchRoll.

If the rotationQuaternion is NOT set then you need to get the mesh.rotation!

You know I searched a lot with keywords like "Axis" or "Moving object with Axis" or "Rotation Axis" the keyword was "GIZMO" I'm such an idiot and all I got was someone else trying to do the same and he had the movement axis. You can't even imagine the code I have right now. It's monster, even with refactoring.

Thank you very much guys. should have done it earlier. it will definitely help. hope I don't encounter the same problem.

17 hours ago, brianzinn said:

I have definitely some moments where I found something I made from scratch -- WAY too many times to mention! :)  The Gizmo is included with BabylonJS, but here is another one that might give you some ideas - they are separate projects:
https://ssatguru.github.io/BabylonJS-EditControl/demo

Thank you very much. I feel you dude.

15 hours ago, Pryme8 said:

Knowing how to script your own gizmos too (even though you say a waste of time) is a pretty valid skill/good practice.

not that I mean it's wasted because I didn't learn anything but sometimes it's actually more of a trial and error than learning. this wasn't the latter although It helped a lot.

Ok, I've setup gizmo didn't know It was on the alpha version of babylon but it's really solid and does everything I wanted it to do although the same problem with camera angle and sometimes inverse moving on x and y axis is still there but that's not a big problem. the problem with squash is gone now but I found a bug :

after touching the gizmo doesn't matter if you move or rotate or scale or not, the position of x will be inverted I mean if it's positive it will be negative if it's negative it will be positive.

the other thing is the rotation of x and y will be inverted and at the same time swapped with each other so in example If I have something like this =>

position : (x: 1, y:1, z:1);

qRotation: (x:0.5, y:0.4, z:0.2, w:0.1)

after just touching the bounding box of gizmo (not even moving) the result will be :

position : (x: -1, y:1, z:1);

qRotation: (x:-0.4, y: -0.5, z:0.1, w:0.2);

the scale won't change.

dunno if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong but I'm not manipulating anything in the process just storing and retrieving. I'm gonna make a playground If I can.

edit:

z and w will be swapped as well. Scale Y will be inverted too.