Mesh.dispose() Clarity

Pryme8

So to what extent does disposing the mesh, clean up the entities that may be initialized under it like a non shared material or the texture used by that material?

I know if there is a physicsImposter, you need to dipose of it before the mesh... but how much other stuff needs to be cleaned up?

Calling mesh.dispose() will automatically dispose the children but not attached materials (unless you set the 2nd parameter to true):

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Mesh/babylon.mesh.ts#L1811

The dispose will remove:

- Geometry

- observables

- instances

- actionmanagers

- physicsImpostor (no need to dispose it beforehand: https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Mesh/babylon.abstractMesh.ts#L1542)

- submeshes

- selection octrees

Ive come into the situation where the physicsImposter does not, is that because I sometimes name it body?

I figured the dispose recursively goes through the variables assigned to the mesh and checks for a dispose method.

@Deltakosh

It's old habit from a few versions back. Are you saying that disposing of a single mesh also disposes of all attributes of the mesh including materials, textures, shaders, etc? We're not talking scene dispose. But if mesh dispose works this way, then what about shared attributes?

Thanks,

DB