Do you use Visualisation Diagrams when game designing

GreenCloversGuy

I am someone who enjoys making diagrams when I'm programming something complicated to make sure I understand what I'm doing. I tend to do this when making object orientated programs as it helps me work out which objects are linked to what and help me create a more modular program. 

I created a diagram for part of my latest game which I've attached. It helped me think about how my game is currently coded and how I can improve it, in this example by having my objects send a message to my scene which will launch my new scene, reducing the number of connections between the scene into a single connection. 

Do you use visualisation diagrams to help you design? Which do you use, and why?

Bar Crawler Object Diagram.png

How about a tool that create those sorts of diagrams by analysing your source? That would be good, and I bet it already exists.

To your actual question, yes, I also find some diagramming to be helpful although I wouldn't be as granular as you are. I've also got reasonably good at splitting problems up so rarely need to diagram for side projects, however, at work (where problems are significantly more involved) we do this as a team regularly and refer to diagrams often. Hardest part is keeping things up to date, hence the requirement for a tool that do this for you from code analysis. Ditto for written documentation.

• 2 weeks later...