Help Contributing to Babylonjs

DylanD

Hello everyone, 

I am very inexperienced with git and open source project, and have recently gotten the time and the OK to contribute a few modules to Babylonjs.  However after following https://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/how_to_start i have a few problems.

The first being gulp (which i dont believe i need as i have tested both modules, and i think that was the intention with gulp).  When i tried to follow along using the gulp command in the gulp folder produced this error.

Anyway i skipped that and have gotten to the point where i have commited my file and wish to make a pull request to babylonjs (master?) repository.  However i dont fully understand how to do that as it does not go over it in the tutorial.  So here is what i tried

Any ideas on what im doing wrong?

gulpHelp.PNG

Git diff.PNG

Hello ! Welcome to our awesome community :) 
you need to do npm install first, that should solve the- 'cannot find module gulp-uglify'

if continues, do a manual - `npm install  gulp-uglify`

For guidelines - https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/contributing.md
For setup - http://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/how_to_start

@DylanD glad to hear that you are going to make a contribution. Even though I have had a couple of PRs accepted I still have problems when I do it usually with gulp. I think I will see if I can do a re-write that takes people who know little about git and github (as I was once and still no expert) on a step by step journey through it. I may be wrong but I think you are missing a repository on github and a fork of babylon.js in your repository. You can only issue a pull request from your fork to  that of babylon.js.

More here on forks

Having made and tested your local version you then need to check your version is built on the latest version of the babylon.js repository by doing a pull from that repository and then doing a push to your repository before issuing a pull request.

Pull and Pull Request difference

If you use git pull, you pull the changes from the remote repository into yours.

If you send a pull request to another repository, you ask their maintainers to pull your changes into theirs (you more or less ask them to use a git pull from your repository). From stackoverflow

I know how to use git/github and I had got the same issue when building BabylonJS with gulp.

You can't really skip this step because you should no make a pull request if you did not test your code after building BabylonJS :)

@Deltakosh told me to check that I installed gulp 4.0.0 but I did not have time to try.

To know more about the git workflow usually used in open source project, see fork workflow in this documentation https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows. Maybe read about the simpler workflows first. Note that Bitbucket is just an alternative to Github, everything they say is applicable to Github.

6 hours ago, Nodragem said:

I know how to use git/github and I had got the same issue when building BabylonJS with gulp.

You can't really skip this step because you should no make a pull request if you did not test your code after building BabylonJS :)

@Deltakosh told me to check that I installed gulp 4.0.0 but I did not have time to try.

To know more about the git workflow usually used in open source project, see fork workflow in this documentation https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows. Maybe read about the simpler workflows first. Note that Bitbucket is just an alternative to Github, everything they say is applicable to Github.

I use bitbucket for work and school.  So i am a bit familiar for it.

So I followed the steps from there: https://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/how_to_start as you did and everything went perfectly fine. I did not get the same error as before.

Note that if this screenshot describes what you did:

gulpHelp.PNG

Then it seems that you forgot to run:

npm install

Before to run gulp (when you are in the folder Babylon.js/Tools/Gulp).

Hope that helps.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:05 AM, JohnK said:

@DylanD glad to hear that you are going to make a contribution. Even though I have had a couple of PRs accepted I still have problems when I do it usually with gulp. I think I will see if I can do a re-write that takes people who know little about git and github (as I was once and still no expert) on a step by step journey through it. I may be wrong but I think you are missing a repository on github and a fork of babylon.js in your repository. You can only issue a pull request from your fork to  that of babylon.js.

More here on forks

Having made and tested your local version you then need to check your version is built on the latest version of the babylon.js repository by doing a pull from that repository and then doing a push to your repository before issuing a pull request.

Pull and Pull Request difference

If you use git pull, you pull the changes from the remote repository into yours.

If you send a pull request to another repository, you ask their maintainers to pull your changes into theirs (you more or less ask them to use a git pull from your repository). From stackoverflow

Thank you!  I have been wanting to start contributing however, work and school have made it very difficult to keep up with everything.

After reading this i believe my problem is that i did not make a fork of the babylonjs master, when i clone it i assumed that was creating a fork, although i somewhat understand that, making a clone is not also creating a fork.  So i need to create a fork of babylon master then clone that, add my changes to that, then make make a pull request. Hopefully i will be able to try this soon!

I will keep this topic posted with my updates!