Reversing an object in babylon js

Eisha

I am trying to reverse the direction of a sphere as soon as it touches the ground. I have tried every possibilities to try reverse the direction and I want it to bounce up and down starting from the ground to go upward and then coming back down. I am not understanding how to do it. Below is the code for that part. Please help me.
Thank You 

var originalVelocity = -.005;
            scene.registerAfterRender(function () { 
                sphere3.position.y = sphere3.position.y + originalVelocity;
                if (sphere3.intersectsMesh(ground, true)) { 
                    sphere3.material.diffuseColor = new BABYLON.Color3(1, 0, 0);

sphere3.position.y = sphere3.position.y - 4*originalVelocity;  //this line is not working
                } 
            });

How about something like this?

var velocity = 0.005;
var dir = -1.0;
scene.registerBeforeRender(function () { 
    sphere.position.y += velocity * dir

if (sphere.intersectsMesh(ground, false)) {
         console.log('intersected');
         dir = 1.0;
    }

if (sphere.position.y > 3) {
        dir = -1.0;
    }
});

Explanation:

Sphere is moving in the direction of velocity * -1 (negative y direction is downwards).

When the sphere touches the ground, the direction is flipped to the positive direction.

When the sphere reaches a height of y = 3, it returns to the negative direction.

Going Further:

More like gravity: Increase the velocity a little each step when traveling in the negative y direction (like accelerating downwards via gravity). Decrease the velocity while traveling in the positive y direction (like a ball reaching the top of an arc and then falling). No need to flip the direction manually at the top anymore, this fake gravity will have done it already.

More like a rubber ball: if the ball's scale is compressed in the y direction when it hits the ground, it'll look like a bouncy ball. There are other little details depending how bouncy/squishy one would like things to look.

Demo:

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#7D23I2

9 hours ago, timetocode said:

How about something like this?

var velocity = 0.005;
var dir = -1.0;
scene.registerBeforeRender(function () { 
    sphere.position.y += velocity * dir

if (sphere.intersectsMesh(ground, false)) {
         console.log('intersected');
         dir = 1.0;
    }

if (sphere.position.y > 3) {
        dir = -1.0;
    }
});

Explanation:

Sphere is moving in the direction of velocity * -1 (negative y direction is downwards).

When the sphere touches the ground, the direction is flipped to the positive direction.

When the sphere reaches a height of y = 3, it returns to the negative direction.

Going Further:

More like gravity: Increase the velocity a little each step when traveling in the negative y direction (like accelerating downwards via gravity). Decrease the velocity while traveling in the positive y direction (like a ball reaching the top of an arc and then falling). No need to flip the direction manually at the top anymore, this fake gravity will have done it already.

More like a rubber ball: if the ball's scale is compressed in the y direction when it hits the ground, it'll look like a bouncy ball. There are other little details depending how bouncy/squishy one would like things to look.

Demo:

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#7D23I2

Hello @timetocode
Thank you so much for your help its a great explanation ? 
Very well explained
Thank You