[WIP] Space Invaders Cubed on Android

eps

Oops, posted this in the general demos and projects forum..

I've been developing this game over the past few months....  It's been Alpha tested and I think it is now ready for Beta testing...!

Screenshot attached.

Its been developed using Basic4Android, which creates the WebView for the game and the Menus.  The rest is HTML5, using BabylonJS and JS to create the gameplay mechanics.

Screenshot_20181125-005108.png

3 minutes ago, jerome said:

any online playable demo to test ?

I can make this available - at the moment it's "only" available for Internal Test on Google Play at the moment.  I can add you to the list - if you PM me a gmail email account you can then download and install the game as it stands at the moment - it's only Alpha test right now.

This is now available on Open Beta... So there are still some items to be addressed, but hopefully not too many.

It's my first attempt at a game ever!

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/torquesoft.spaceinvaders

Left hand side of screen moves the players' ship. The right hand side fires a shot.

Any feedback is welcomed!

There is a limit of 1,000 Beta Testers...

I looked up the app in the Play store and found it under 'beta' versions. Jeey!

Installed the Android app and it plays nicely. The theme for space invaders is very intuitive; the game objective doesn't need much explanation for this retro classic.

But wait... BabylonJS on Android app store?!? This opens new perspectives for my own BabylonJs game :-)

In the (?) help screen you maybe want to put the instructions on movement and firing.

Some struggles:

• When I tap too frequently on the screen, my device gets into zoom mode and then I only see 1/4th of the screen (star field).
  • The shooting sound is a bit annoying for other people in the room.

But these are just minor annoyances between me and my phone haha.

Q

12 hours ago, QuintusHegie said:

I looked up the app in the Play store and found it under 'beta' versions. Jeey!

Installed the Android app and it plays nicely. The theme for space invaders is very intuitive; the game objective doesn't need much explanation for this retro classic.

But wait... BabylonJS on Android app store?!? This opens new perspectives for my own BabylonJs game ?

In the (?) help screen you maybe want to put the instructions on movement and firing.

Some struggles:

• When I tap too frequently on the screen, my device gets into zoom mode and then I only see 1/4th of the screen (star field).
  • The shooting sound is a bit annoying for other people in the room.

But these are just minor annoyances between me and my phone haha.

Q

Cheers, thanks for installing it and giving it a go.  It is Beta - it only just moved out of Alpha test.

I've still got the documentation to do... :(

I'm interested to know how you managed to tap too frequently - this shouldn't happen within the App itself as everything is locked, including the webview used.  Are you able to confirm the device and Android version you have please?

Yes - the sound should be switched off using the cog icon...  That's still to do!

Cheers!

:)

9 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

yeah :)

I'll put together a simple barebones example which covers the techniques used in Basic4Android.  They even have a 59USD version which gives you 2 months worth of updates.  But I prefer the 120USD for 2 years worth..  To be honest it's fairly stable and quite mature now.  The amount of money (not massive) I've made over the years more than covers the cost of the of the toolset.  I've just purchased 2 years' worth of Basic4Android and Basic4iOS combined which cost 200USD for 2 years' worth of updates.  I've yet to dip in to iOS...  But in theory most of what I've created should be portable to the iOS version...  At least all the HTML5 and javascript is! :)

Hi @eps

It's the Magnification option in Android that got activated when I repeatedly tapped the game screen for firing multiple bullets:

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6006949?hl=en

Probably nothing to worry about as most users will leave the Magnification option off I suppose...

QH

2 hours ago, QuintusHegie said:

Hi @eps

It's the Magnification option in Android that got activated when I repeatedly tapped the game screen for firing multiple bullets:

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6006949?hl=en

Probably nothing to worry about as most users will leave the Magnification option off I suppose...

QH

Cheers, thanks for confirming - I'll check to see what I can do with that....  Probably nothing to be honest as it sits 'on top' of the Apps I guess.