Hosting Solutions

Vexir

Just jumping into HTML5 from Unity mobile development. Looking for a rundown on hosting solutions that provide us with solid coverage over the United States.

So far I've seen a lot of recommendations for AWS/Cloudflare and DigitalOcean. It seems that DO is the younger, cheaper, scrappier player with easier setup (this is useful, my team is new to web dev), but AWS has the features and flexibility.

What should we be thinking about here? What do most serious HTML5 developers use? How important is a CDN? What gets us closest to plug and play setup?

Do you actually need to host the game yourself? I only ask because most of us have our games published by other sites (or onto Facebook, etc) so they deal with all the hosting. Game Distribution, Cloud Games, etc all do the hosting.

The waters get a bit murkier if you're building an IO game though.

DO would be perfect for most needs. It scales massively. Unless you're planning on creating a hit to equal Fortnite, I suspect they could do with anything you throw at them.

To be honest, we're using a confidential distribution partner that doesn't do the hosting. They need us to provide the hosting, including CDN.

In doing some research since my OP, I actually did setup GitHub Pages to use as a testing environment, but I doubt that's good enough for production deployment across the country.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of features are critical to hosting an HTML5 game. That doesn't seem to be easily found online. I know that a CDN is important because our game will likely be distributed all across the US and accessed from a large variety of locations.

I just found out about AWS's easy setup for a static website - it connects EC2 with S3 and Route 53, but that sufficient (static website) for what is needed for an HTML5 game? There's little to no server side computing AFAIK happening as it's not a web-app.

Then there's also Lightsail, which doesn't seem to come with Cloudfront/CDN, but is probably the closest to DigitalOcean's ease of use / setup in a product and would be easy enough to connect to Cloudfront, I think?

What else am I not thinking of that is required for HTML5 game hosting?

The reason you're struggling to research what features are required for hosting an html5 game is simply that there aren't any. If the provider can host a web site, it can host an html5 game.

So, all you really need to do is look at what hosting features you want your site to have and your game gets them too.

DO has "Spaces" which is basically S3 with a built-in CDN. You could use that to handle the game assets and let the droplet serve the game code / wrapping html. They also have load balancing, but if there's no server side component to the game then you only really need this if your droplet starts to get hammered too much. And if all it's doing is dishing out some html and a bit of js, it going to be able to handle a lot as it is.

Thanks. I guess it comes down to what the requirements are of our partner. I'll get in touch with them. I'm also going to reach out to DO and AWS and ask them both to pitch me on why I should work with them instead. If DO can do CDN and give us more personalized support, they feel like the right choice at the moment.

• 4 years later...

With the growth of data-intensive computing, it may be wise to consider GPU-based hosting solutions. rent gpu  offers dedicated servers optimized for GPU-intensive tasks like deep learning, cryptocurrency mining or 3D rendering. Their infrastructure is built for maximum performance, with options for multiple high-end GPUs, fast CPU, lots of RAM and storage. A few years ago, my friend Jake had the idea of using GPUs for real-time video editing. Standard servers couldn't handle the load, so he got a GPU dedicated server. It worked like a charm, handling huge 4K video files without lag. His small video editing business took off, and soon he needed more power. Hostkey scaled his setup by adding additional GPUs, and Jake's startup became a success story. For demanding computing needs, dedicated GPU servers are truly a game-changer.

Edited by Vindictasss