Choosing renderer with better performance

canvasman

Which do you use: autoDetectRenderer with or without forceCanvas as default and option to opt WebGL rendering?

How common is it that clients CPU would render faster than GPU?

I encountered also some situations where browser had the chosen the worse GPU of the two, no idea how to handle this.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/32439423/10324719

Does PIXI use failIfMajorPerformanceCaveat, could it help?

I use autodetect with additional blacklisting on per device basis. If you have a modern computer/phone with modern browser then GPU is basically always faster. Latest devices I have checked that didnt apply to that rule are android 4.x and first gen ipads.

If multiple GPU's exists on a device then that decision on which to use is done on os level (at least I havent heard of any other way).

MajorPerformanceCaveat is used in my knowledge, last checked it in v3 though.

1 hour ago, Exca said:

I use autodetect with additional blacklisting on per device basis. If you have a modern computer/phone with modern browser then GPU is basically always faster. Latest devices I have checked that didnt apply to that rule are android 4.x and first gen ipads.

If multiple GPU's exists on a device then that decision on which to use is done on os level (at least I havent heard of any other way).

MajorPerformanceCaveat is used in my knowledge, last checked it in v3 though.

On my laptop Chrome somehow used the bad GPU instead, then I changed it on nvidia settings and chrome started using the better one. I hope thats not common situation.

Just checked that PIXI v4.x uses that failIfMajorPerformance thing when checking for webgl support so autoDetectRenderer return canvas renderer if that thing fails as well.

https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/blob/v4.x/src/core/utils/index.js#L310

Do you just check if that GPU string in gl context is in blacklist or how it works? Also did you made the list yourself or where did you get it?

The client I work for has automatic feedback channel when problems occur and they add items to that list based on feedbacks and per project basis as the requirements vary a lot.

The check is a combination of GPU string in gl context and additionally user agent. For example we have some old chrome/firefox versions blocked.