Melon JS Particle Tester Broken

Growler

Hello, I wanted to use this particle creator/editor as I have many times before but it's down now: http://melonjs.github.io/melonJS/examples/particles/

Error throw in console is: Uncaught TypeError: context.beginPath is not a function

Seems you've updated its MelonJS to latest without making necessary changes? 

I'm on Melon JS 5.1 and don't have plans to upgrade for the time being. Can you restore the functionality of this please?

@obiot

@obiot I just don't have time to read thru changes I need to make from 5.1 to latest. 

I guess the WebGL "Texture cache overflow: 16 texture units available." error is pretty annoying but not sure any Melon upgrades can solve that limitation. (I talk about it here: 

If you email me at [email protected] I can send you the game so you can check it out. Perhaps as you play maybe you can find some reasons I should upgrade?

@obiot separately (I know I should probably start a new thread), do you know how can I maintain order of Tiled Layers?

As you can see from the tiled Layers image below, Player should always appear behind building overlap (since it's ordered below in Tiled) yet in game he appears in front.

Secondly, if I have to manually change the layering, how I can get access to the tiled layers within melonJS code?

1011921819_ScreenShot2019-04-01at11_44_23PM.png.663db2b4a4425eadc14aad38be789073.png

2 hours ago, Growler said:

@obiot separately (I know I should probably start a new thread), do you know how can I maintain order of Tiled Layers?

As you can see from the tiled Layers image below, Player should always appear behind building overlap (since it's ordered below in Tiled) yet in game he appears in front.

Secondly, if I have to manually change the layering, how I can get access to the tiled layers within melonJS code?

1011921819_ScreenShot2019-04-01at11_44_23PM.png.663db2b4a4425eadc14aad38be789073.png

really ? sounds like a bug/regression to me, and I'm not seeing an issue with the Platformer example.... are you rendering all layer separately or using the preRender flag ? (http://melonjs.github.io/melonJS/docs/me.sys.html#.preRender)

as for manually changing the order ingame, you can use the getChildByName or getChildByType method of the wolrd container  :

for example:

// return the first layer with the name Spawn
var layer = me.game.world.getChildByName("Spawn")[0];

// return all layers object 
var layers = me.game.world.getChildByName(me.TMXLayer);

and then access the pos property of the layer and change the z or y value (based on the sorting method you are using)